Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Draw a time series/time line chart

Hi

I am new to Qlikview. I wanted to achieve the kind of plot shown in attachment. This is how i tried doing it.

1. I have the data in excel. Three columns: Date, Start Time, End Time (ex: 06/06/2013     12:15:00     12:30:00)

2. I used line chart, horizontal representation, i.e. Dimension on X-axis is: Date. The expressions are Time([Start Time],'hh:mm:ss')) and Time([End Time],'hh:mm:ss'). The result is shown in attachment "How far i succeeded.jpg". I could put two points where the Start TIme and End Time was, but dont know how to join them.

Here is what i am missing.

1. Join Start Time and End Time using a line. All the events (each event is shown by a bar from Start Time to End Time) in a day will be shown using multiple bars.

2. The horizontal axis is the time axis representing 24 hrs, scale preferably 1 hour.

Thanks in advance.

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I dont think you can do that straight from the data you have. What you have here is Start and End Time as dimension and Date as expression. For the same date, you want to get the trend between your two times - in order to achieve this you should have a single time dimension and have both the times in that column. You have to pivot your time data.

e.g.:

Date, Time A, Time B
06/06/2013 , 12:13:00, 12:15:00
05/31/2014, 13:15:00, 15:!5:00
01/02/2014, 1:00:00, 5:00:00

Should be

Date, Time

06/06/2013, 12:13:00

06/06/2013, 12:15:00

05/31/2014, 13:15:00

05/31/2014, 15:15:00

01/02/2014, 1:00:00

01/02/2014, 5:00:00

I dont understand the point of this though. Normally the line chart is used to give the trend of something - for example if the sales goes up or down over days ,etc. Not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Sorry couldn't help much .
Not applicable
Author

Hi Preethi

Thanks for your response. I started with line chart, because i dont know which kind of chart will give the kind of view i was looking for. I am trying to represent how some sequence of operations went on a day. Somehow i wanted to show my data in that kind of view. I can create my data in any format (like the pivot example you said), if that helps to get the view i am looking for. Could you please explain in detail (steps) how this can be done.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sandeep,

What you want is a gantt chart.

Check the awesome recipe to accomplish it under those 2 links:

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/06/01/recipe-for-gantt-chart

Files for creation of a Gantt chart

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe using error bars is sufficient for your requirements?

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic2.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic1.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic3.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic4.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic5.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic6.JPG.jpg

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marco

Thank you very much. What you have shown really looks like a great and simple solution for what i am looking for. But, I could not open your app (.qvw) file you attached as i am using personal edition and i am getting following error message when i tried opening it (see attachment). Can you send an app that can be opened in the personal edition. Following are the things i could see in your screen shots and I could not replicate the same in my app

1. I want the time axis to look like same as yours (one hour spacing) and all the axis shown in a single screen. (May if i could open your app i could have known how you did that).

2. On the same day there could more than on "Start and End" set like shown in attachment "Value Table". Can you also tell me how this can done.

Thanks in advance.

Not applicable
Author

Jean-Pierre Bakhache: Thank you for your response. I tried the Gantt chart link that you suggested before posting this question. I could not achieve what i wanted. May be i did not do everything right.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

I cannot include a licence in my qvw to enable it to be opened with a personal edition.

The time axis in my example is configured like this:

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic1.JPG.jpg

In order to allow multiple time ranges on a single day, I think you would have to create distinct dimension values e.g. like  "6/8/2013_1", "6/8/2013_2", "6/8/2013_3" ... either at script level or as a calculated dimension.

regards

Marco

MarcoWedel

In order to allow multiple time ranges on a single day, I think you could create distinct dimension values with a calculated dimension e.g. like this:

=Date(Date+[Start Time]+[End Time]*0.000001, 'MM/DD/YYYY')

or

=Dual(Date, Date+[Start Time]+[End Time]*0.000001)

This expression generates distinct dimension values even for multiple time ranges within the same day/date.

The dimension then can be sorted numerically.

The result looks like this:

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic2.JPG.jpg

QlikCommunity_Thread_119679_Pic3.JPG.jpg

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marco

Thanks for your detailed reply. I liked this idea, but there are multiple rows with same date. Is there a possibility to bring all of them to one row, i mean multiple bars of same date on same line (here bars for same date are marked in multiple lines). If this can be done my problem is completely solved.

Regards,

Sandeep