Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamically changing variables within a slider

Hi,

I have a slider. I want the slider to control a different variable depending on the users current selection. Essentially I want the slider to act in this manner:

IF(IllnessGroup=HeartAttack,$(HeartAttackVariable),

IF(IllnessGroup=Stroke, $(StrokeVariable),

$SweepUpVariable))

Can anyone suggest a way that I can do this. I tried setting the slider to a field then usering an expression but that doesn't seem to work. I also tried creating a table to store these values but couldn't get that to work either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

7 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Dan

If I understand your requirement correctly, I suggest that you create 3 sliders, one per variable and control the slider visibility using the selection in IllnessGroup.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Make sure the field IllnessGroup can have only 1 value selected at any time.

Make a "template" slider. You will be making copies of this one for every IllnessGroup value. Now make any slider show up only when a specific value has been selected in IllnessGroup. Use a conditional show expression like this one:

GetFieldSelections(IllnessGroup) = 'Stroke'

In every slider, change the affected variable accroding to the IllnessGroup value.

It may become a lot of work if IllnessGroup hase many discrete values. And close to impossible if IllnessGroup values change over time. But I think this will fit your description.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thank you, both of those answers will work however it will be pretty ugly. Particularly if I end up with 100 illness groups, I'm trying to find a way that might be a little cleaner that that, otherwise I will have potentially 100 objects on a sheet with 99 of them hidden.

Thanks both of you for your replies.

Is there any alternative way?

Nicole-Smith

Why the need for 100 different variables?  Why not just have one vSlider variable?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nicole,

graph.png

Here you can see my graph. Each of the sliders is set for a variable which is used to drive if the dot on the graph is colored red or green (if the process happened before or after the target value). Similarly it affects the values within the tables below the slider.

This works great when I have a single 'illness group'. I however might have up to 100 illness groups. When a user filters on any one illness group I would like a preloaded set of targets to display. If a user changes a target for a specific illness group that should be saved as a variable associated to that illness group. If a user then makes a change to a target on another ilness group and comes back to the original illness group then I would want the target values to have been remembered (including the users changes that he made after the pre-loaded values were used).

Perhaps there is another way of doing this but now you have the context of what I am aiming for.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nicole-Smith

Maybe the attached can give you an idea of something to go off of.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for the file, you have transformed/simplified it quite a bit! I had a quick look and couldn't quite see if it did exactly what I wanted or not. I will have a proper look after the weekend and will send a reply either way. Thank you very much for your help with this, it is really useful to see how you have approached it to give me ideas about the best way to simpify and tackle things.

Thanks again

Dan