Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claude_jakob
Contributor III
Contributor III

Export chart data to Excel to create graphs

Hi

when I extract data from a line chart with 2 or more lines (from QV) and copy/send that data to excel to re-do the graph, the exported data is in a format that cannot be handled easily. The export places x-axis information in one column, and all the line data in one and the same column.

Is there an easy way to export QV chart information to excel in the way that each line data is placed in a separate column. Is this a matter of QV settings, excel macros or expression definition within the chart? I tried exporting data from charts from various demo applications and all gave the same data presentation.

I appended one example (with data from a QV demo application) in the attached excel sheet. It shows the way QV inserts the data but also the way I would need the data.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Claude

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/4276.Chart_5F00_Export.xls:550:0]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theviking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Is it not an option to create a Pivot table in Excel based on the information in the columns with the exported data? That would create the layout you require.

Best Regards

/HJ

View solution in original post

5 Replies
theviking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Is it not an option to create a Pivot table in Excel based on the information in the columns with the exported data? That would create the layout you require.

Best Regards

/HJ

claude_jakob
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi HJ

thanks for your response.

technically creating a Pivot chart/table solves the problem. However, the majority of Qlikview user are not proficient in setting up/using pivot tables. Morever, if these users need to do futher calculations in Excel from exported data the pivot format is not ideal.

Therefore if there were a possibility to export graphs to excel in a user-friendlier format any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks, Claude

theviking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Claude,

I did a test in version 9 using a pivot table in QV and exported the pivot diagram to Excel. I have enclosed the result and as far as I can see was the result as you wanted, or?

Could this be a version issue?

Best Regards,

/HJ

claude_jakob
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi HJ

Great help !! It is not a QV version issue. It is a matter of table definition !

To obtain user-friendly exportable tables from line charts I had to define the layout of the final table and then turn it to a line graph. The result looks the same as graph but the table can be more user-friendly exported.

Thanks a lot for the lead 🙂

Best regards, Claude

Not applicable

Hi Claude,

I tried to solve that same problem using NPrinting Free www.nprinting.com/download_nprinting_free.php there are the steps I took and the output.

First I loaded the data from your Excel file into QlikView. The resulting .qvw is attached (data.qvw).

I then created an NPrinting template following the instructions in the video "Salesman's report with summary data in a pivot table" www.nprinting.com/tutorials.php. The template I created is attached (ClaudeTemplate.xls).

I exported the data from the QlikView document onto the first worksheet and in the second worksheet I created a pivot table. Clearly you can hide the first sheet so that users only see the pivot table.

I exported the data and the output is into the attached file output.xls.

NB that I put in some conditional formatting just to show what it might look like - you can format this in any way Excel allows.

Hope this helps

John