Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Gauge Chart - Comment

Hi All,

Is the comment section in the expression there only for the developer or for the EU. I want to make notes for the EU to fully understand what the calculation is for a measure i.e. Input Message in Excel

Your assistance in this regard is much appreciated

Cheers,

Byron

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

If you prefer not to use a caption, you can also use an Action on the gauge to bring up a minimized or hidden object with an explanation in it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

A good place for comments is the "help text" - see on the tab Caption, bottom left, for any object.

In the case of server, you can use "Notes" functionality.

Regards,

Michael

Or
MVP
MVP

If you prefer not to use a caption, you can also use an Action on the gauge to bring up a minimized or hidden object with an explanation in it.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I really dislike the Caption chart for the type of Gauge chart I am using. Otherwise this would be the solution.

Thanks for your reply

Not applicable
Author

Hi Orsh,

I was doing the exact thing you mentioned now. Was hoping there was a easier to manage way, oh well

Thanks for your reply mate

Cheers,

Byron

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sometimes we just create a lot of help text boxes all over the sheet, that are conditionally hidden, and shown on click of a "help" button.

Regards,

Michael

PS: In the older QV versions (e.g. 8.5), there was an oiption "Disable F1 Help".  If it is disabled, F1 brought help text from the active object rather than help info for developer, and there were no need for caption.  Not sure why it was removed 😞

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback. That feature would have been great in this situation. Maybe I will go ask for this under the feedback/suggestion part of this site and cross fingers they implement in a future SR

If you would be so kind, could you let me know if this is possible.

Let me explain my thinking

1) Create a whole bunch of let statements in script with each variable representing a measure and that evaluates to a comment

2) Have a small text object next to each measure where the user can click (will contain actions)

3) This will trigger an action to activate the text object that I want populated with that measures definition

4) The object that gets activated then triggers another update as to the variable to use that will contain the definition

I've seen actions like set variable that I am wondering I could use to achieve the above. Please let me know if I should consume more time thinking about this or use the working solution you provided above

Thanks,

Byron

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Byron,

Close enough, except you don't need to create anything in the script for this.  BTW, this exact approach is used in application "What's New in Qlikview11", you can find it in QV developer - go to Getting Started, and scroll all way to the bottom.

After layout is finished, create text boxes with explanations, make them conditonal by using one variable (vHelp in the example).  Create one button (or text object with action) which toggles variable vHelp.  Click thid button shows help texts, next click hides them.

That's it pretty much...

Regards,

Michael