Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I copy a sheet, including background image, from one qvw to another?

How can I copy a sheet, including the sheet's background image, from one qvw to another?

I've seen responses regarding copying sheet objects from a sheet in one qvw to another qvw (ex: How to copy a sheet from one *.qvw file to another *.qvw file), but is there a way to actually copy everything, including the sheet's background image? Or do I need to do this manually? (I set the sheet background image through Settings>Sheet Properties>General tab and add the image under the Background section.)

Thank you!

9 Replies
fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Danielle,

I'd love to help you but I don't think there's a way to copy the Background.
Maybe you could try QV Themes (F1 > Theme)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the tip! It's my understanding, though, that using themes can take a lot of time, as you need to apply the theme to each object and sheet in the document. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.) Would a better option be to basically create a document to serve as my template, and then do a "save as" each time I need to create a new document with those settings?

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Danielle,

You could create a prj folder which will export all objects as xml files

You can then import those files into the other document.

Regards

Al

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

So if your qlikview application is called MyDoc.qvw in the same folder where you have saved that file create a folder

called MyDoc-prj, save and close your qvw and then open the MyDoc-prj folder and you will all object as xml files, you can then copy the MyDoc-prj and call it MyNewDoc-prj and create a blank qvw called MyNewDoc.qvw

You can reload this new qvw and it will read everything from the MyNewDoc-prj folder, pretty neat

Hope it helps

Al

Not applicable
Author

Hi Al,

Can you clarify what I do after that first step? (Step 1: Create a new folder in the same place where the original qvw is stored. Name the folder the same title as the original qvw, adding "-prj" to the end.) Are you saying to export all objects from the original qvw and import them into the new folder?

Thanks,

Danielle

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Danielle,

Once you create the folder called MyDoc-prj, it will automatically send all objects as xml files to the MyDoc-prj folder from the MyDoc.qvw

It would look like below, where I have a folder called Qlikview and within that I have a qvw called MyDoc, then create a folder called MyDoc-prj

2013-12-05_0855.png

Now if you open and Save the QVW, it will automatically send all objects, including layouts, colors etc. to xml files and they will be stored in the MyDoc-prj folder

like below

2013-12-05_0855_001.png

You can then copy the MyDoc-prj folder and rename it to MyDoc2-prj and create a new Qlikview Document and save it as MyDoc2.qvw, Save and Reload this qvw and it will pick up all objects in the MyDoc2-prj folder and that's it!!

Hope that helps

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Alan!

Could you provide a bit more clarification for that last step? (For instance, how did you save the MyDoc2.qvw? When you save and reload it, are you supposed to have the entire script in the qvw, and reload the script?)

Thanks!

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Just open a new qvw file name it MyDoc2 and save the file. Close it, open it again and reload, when you reload it will pick up all the xml files from the folder called MyDoc2-prj

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

And yes, it should pick up all objects and charts including the script in the new qvw