Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to provide an option to make a custom expression selection in tables?

Hi,

I'm a week old QlikView user. I already find it very exciting to work with. I'm developing an interface for myself and a whole bunch of other users. I have a question around expressions in tables and charts. Here is a description of my problem:

Suppose I have created a table where I want to compare the performance of a few products over multiple quarters based on various metrics like gross revenue, net revenue, margin etc. From what I have seen so far I can display the metrics using Chart Properties >> Expressions and Add. Is there a way in QlikView where I can define and add all these expressions up front and then give an option to the end user to perhaps drag and drop the specific metric they want to view? For example, I have expressions defined for Gross Revenue, Net Revenue and Margins. First I want to look at Gross Revenue and then I want to drop out Gross Revenue and drop in Gross Margin. Is there a way to do something like this? Even if not drag and drop can I have a listbox or drop down which will allow me to display and select the specific metric I want to see?

Please help me with this question.

Thanks,

Prakash 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I've attached a qvw file created by rebeccad. In this example you can select fields which are then shown in the table. It works in QV11 by making use of conditional display expressions. You can create a table with the names of your expressions so users can select which expressions to show. You could also put the expressions themselves in a table and have the user select one (only one) and have an expression evaluate the selected expression with $(=MyFieldWithMyExpressions).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I've attached a qvw file created by rebeccad. In this example you can select fields which are then shown in the table. It works in QV11 by making use of conditional display expressions. You can create a table with the names of your expressions so users can select which expressions to show. You could also put the expressions themselves in a table and have the user select one (only one) and have an expression evaluate the selected expression with $(=MyFieldWithMyExpressions).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your spontaneous response. I achieved what I wanted to achieve with your respose.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your spontaneous response. I achieved what I wanted to achieve with your respose.