Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to select single expression (in a line chart) from a legend

Hi all,

I have a line chart that is having 4 different expressions.

That is, for each line in the chart, there is one expression and in legend, an expression-name corresponding to the respective line color.

It looks like what is given here

expissue.JPG

Now my problem is, I am not able to select one expression to see its corresponding line alone.

(I know that in case of multiple line charts where there is only one expression and the different lines corresponds to different values of some dimension, it is possible to select the dimension value by clicking the same from legend. But in this case, I am having different expressions for each line)

Is there any way by which I can get a selection over the required expression?

That is, if I want the chart to display only expression 1, I should be able to do it, clicking exp 1 in the legend.

Thanks,

Vishnu S

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Go to Chart's Properties-> Expression tab select the last expression and click on the Group button. You will get a cyclic group for these 4 expressions. is this u required?

Regards

Apurva

Not applicable
Author

No Apurva,

Adding the 4 seperate expressions into a cyclic group will facilitate you to see only one expression/line at a time.

My requirement (or rather client's requirement!) is to display all 4 lines (4 expressions) in one chart by default and from that chart user should be able to select one expression if they want to see that alone in the chart.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Are you working on QV 11 version bcoz there is a feature in QV 11 for dynamically selections of Expressions as well as Dimensions in a chart. Just look at the demo Application(What's New in Qlikview 11).

Regards

Apurva

Not applicable
Author

Apurva,

I am using QV 11 only.

I could'nt find the mentioned feature.

Are you telling about cyclic-expression feature?

Not applicable
Author

Hi

I am talking about the Report tab in Whats New in QV11 Application.

sbaldwin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi the only way i would think you can do this is to restructure your data, from looking like:

Dim            Exp1      Exp2      Exp3

Q1/2011    1            0.3        0.6

Q1/2011    1            0.4        0.2

to look something like this:

Dim          Exp          ExpType

Q1/2011   1             Exp1

Q1/2011   1             Exp1

Q1/2011    0.3         Exp2

Q1/2011    0.4         Exp2

Q1/2011    0.6         Exp3

Q1/2011    0.2         Exp3

Then you could add the ExpType as a dimension and then just have a sinle expression, you will then be able to select it in your graph (this is assuming your expressions are simple counts / sums. however more complex functions could also be replecated but you would need to write these in your script too.

Thanks

Steve

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

For this you can try Dynamic Expressions by selecting Conditional option in Expression tab.

You can find the example of this implementation in What's new in Qlikview Demo

http://ap.demo.qlik.com/QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=qvdocs/Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qvw&host...

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Did you get any solution for this ? I am also facing exact problem what you were facing. Please let me know how you resolved it.

Many thanks

Prajeesh

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Were you able to get any solution for filtering chart by expression legend ?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Tina.