Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El_Davidus
Contributor II
Contributor II

Is it possible to keep the script window always open ?

During the code development it  would be better if I could reload my code and keep the script window open. At the same time it would have to allow me to change or creat objects on my dashboard. Is this possible ?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If this is your load script - copy all of this into a text file named ExternalScriptExample.qvs:

Copy all of your load script into a file named the same as your application with a .qvs extensionCopy all of your load script into a file named the same as your application with a .qvs extension

Just have this single line in you load script that will read all of the load script text in from the external file:

Put this single line into your load scriptPut this single line into your load script

Then your final environment will look like this:

This should be your environmentThis should be your environment

Obviously the left lower window will only show each time you hit the reload button on your toolbar in QlikView.

So you can at all times have both the UI and the load script open simultanously.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In QlikView you can't. Unless you externalize the script by using 

$(include=....\application-load-script-01.qvs);

or

$(must_include= .... );

So you can keep your script in a text editor like Notepad++, Atom, Sublime or the text editor of your choice...

El_Davidus
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Could you show me an example of how to do that ? Thank you.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If this is your load script - copy all of this into a text file named ExternalScriptExample.qvs:

Copy all of your load script into a file named the same as your application with a .qvs extensionCopy all of your load script into a file named the same as your application with a .qvs extension

Just have this single line in you load script that will read all of the load script text in from the external file:

Put this single line into your load scriptPut this single line into your load script

Then your final environment will look like this:

This should be your environmentThis should be your environment

Obviously the left lower window will only show each time you hit the reload button on your toolbar in QlikView.

So you can at all times have both the UI and the load script open simultanously.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

BTW - if you want QlikView syntax highlighting as you can see above in Notepad++ you can find the recipe for doing it here:

https://github.com/MattFryer/Qlik-Notepad-plus-plus/releases/tag/v2.6

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A different approach could be to separate the UI from the data model and link the two by using a BINARY load in the UI load script:

1) App1_Data_Model.qvw
       Only contains a load script and no user interface for the final application.

2) App2_UI.qvw
       Only contains the UI and have a single load script statement that does a BINARY on the qvw-file of the Data Model.

You will have to start the QlikView Windows application twice with the two qvws so the load script of the Data Model won't block access to the UI. You will have to press reload twice to get updated data into the UI. First in the Data Model and after that has finished the reload of the UI. That way you won't have to use an external text-editor / IDE.

It will look something like this:

#4.png