Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III

Limit a Pivot due to Performance Problems

Hi all,

I am building a "Self-Service" Pivot Table,

where the user can select 1 to 35 dimensions to be shown and there is (just) one expression.

Depended on how many dimensions the user has selected, the more bigger the pivot gets.

This pivot has a very bad performance on the Access Point and I wanted to ask for help, something like a condition (under Layout, Condition) to check how many datasets / rows are displayed. The question is, how should the condition look like:

I have tried to use getpossiblecount(Dim A) * getpossiblecount(Dim B) * etc.

and also with count(aggr(1,[Dim A],[Dim B))

I am not really coming further.  Did anybody already touch this performance topic of a self-service pivot, who could please give a advice?

Kind Regards and thank you!

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

It might be easy to help if you are able to share a sample?

chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I have uploaded one small application, which is showing the starting position.

Of course this example does not have any performance issue.

But my question is how can I find a limitation / expression, which is counting the data rows.

And if the data rows are exceeding a specific amount, than the table should not be displayed anymore.

sunny_talwar

May be try this expression

=Sum(Aggr(If(Sum(Performance) <> 0, 1, 0), $(=Concat('[' & Field_Display_Name & ']', ', '))))

The above will give you the number of rows that are getting displayed in the chart

chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III
Author

So basically, you used

sum(aggr(1,DimA,DimB).

what is aggr(1,

doing?

Can you explain a little bit please?

sunny_talwar

Aggr(1? Where do you see that in my expression? I am confused

chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III
Author

(If(Sum(Performance) <> 0, 1, 0),

if the performance is not 0, than 1

so 1

so -> sum(aggr(1,DimA....)

sunny_talwar

I guess, you can put it that way... but I wouldn't use straight 1 because if you have set analysis in your expression... using just 1 won't be enough... I would use the expression itself and check if it is <> 0.

Anyways, what is the part you don't understand about the expression? I am still not sure I understand what is wrong with this?

=Sum(Aggr(If(Sum(Performance) <> 0, 1, 0), $(=Concat('[' & Field_Display_Name & ']', ', '))))

chriys1337
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Sunny,

thanks,

my question is:

1. What is sum(aggr(expression,dim1,dim2,dim3) doing? why not sum(aggr(dim1,dim2).

2. I also don't get why are you checking if the performance is not 0? (expression)

Thx a lot.

Chris

sunny_talwar

What does this even mean?

sum(aggr(dim1,dim2)

If I know what it means, I might be able to let you know... but I have no idea what it does....

For your second question...., I only want to sum when your expression has a value... that is why checking for 0.

Is it not giving you what you want? I am not sure what the issue is...