Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Limit line graph to every 15 days

Is there a way to limit the x axis values to every 15 or so data points. I have a graph that shows every day of the year, but the graph would be two wide to show the whole year. Is there a way to do this in the graph settings. Or do I have modify my dimension?

Thanks,

Alex

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have you tried disabling the continuous axis, enabling the "show all bars" option lik described above?

View solution in original post

19 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try to use a continuous axis for the dates (option in axis tab). This should already scale your axis to show all.

You can also play around with the static step, if needed.

Not applicable
Author

Yeah, I've seen that as an example, but when I click that. My dimension changes from a date to integer form, so it looks really ugly. Why would it be doing that?

I'm comparing to years, so this is my dimension.

=date(makedate(1+(month("Asof Date")>7),month("As of Date"),day("Asof Date")),'MM/DD')

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, could be a problem, I had some problems with kind of that, too. But not 100% sure.

Could you upload a small sample here?

You could also try to enable the "Show all bars" option in presentation tab. This option is disabled in a line chart, but you can set your chart type to bar chart, change the option, then change it back to line chart. Should keep the option setting. Worked at my side with different versions.

Not applicable
Author

Here you go.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can set the number format of your continuous axis to Date with format MM/DD, so your AsOfDate dimension in your cyclic group could display fine. But your first dimension in that group is DateMonth, and since the axis is numerical, it will not display fine, and I am missing some more advanced formatting options for something like Months in the number tab for that.

So I think it will be quite difficult to get a decent formatting using continuous axis in your case, given the cyclic group with its formats.

I couldn't really check my second idea using the show all bars option, since your data just seems to fit anyway into the graph (it doesn't contain data for each day of the year, only for the first few months?).

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Okay, so Removing the month will be fine as long as I can narrow it down. When I change the as of date format to

=Date("As of Date",'MM/DD')

I stll get a flat line. I think my calculation needs modifaction.

Not applicable
Author

So I having trouble because even though I reformated to MM/DD, there is still a residue year attached to the record. How can I modify that?

Not applicable
Author

I using this date calculation now, for the above graph.

date(D, 'MM/DD') AS DateMMDD.

How should I modify that to remove the year? If that makes sense...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry I somehow lost track what your current setting, dimensions and options, is.

Just looking at your image, you are still having two years for YOY comparison? If you draw both years on the axis, but only format the axis label like MM/DD, I think this could look similar to what you see.