Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Line Chart without Dimension

Hey Everyone.

I want to compare 2 different time periods in a chart using alternate states.

So i compare week 23 of 2015 to week 23 of 2014 for example.

So in State1 i have 7 data points and in State 2 i have 7 data points.

I want these 2 lines of 7 data points to overlap so that you can see the actual difference.

The problem that occurs is that the chart puts the lines next to eachother because of the Date Dimension:

Grafiek2.jpg

It would be pretty logical that the chart would do this.

however i want them overlapping.

if it were complete weeks every time we would do a comparisment it would be easy i would add days (Mon / Thu / Wed)

But sometimes we want to compare Promotional periods of say 2 weeks, or 10 days.

Can anyone help me manage this? is there a way to tell Qlikview that instead of the dimension Date just count the selected date points and use those?

Kind Regards

Mike Cleven.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Overlaping two line charts (top one transparent) solve your needs?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

if you create a Day/Month Dimension instead of the full date, the points should overlap as you need. As you say the fact that you have year within your dimension is why the chart is correctly splitting out your expressions like that

hope that helps

Joe

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Overlaping two line charts (top one transparent) solve your needs?

Not applicable
Author

I just tried that, and it works, but if i now compare say week 22 i will get a problem.

Week 22 has 7 days in May 2015 but only 6 in May 2014, so it will shift 1 data point.

And if for some reason marketing wants to compare the first week of this month with the last week of last month i get the same issue as I have now.

vcanale
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Mike,
Right Joe!.. considering the different years the chart is correct.
"Day-Month" as Dimension is enough

Not applicable
Author

No unfortunately not, I do like it though and will use it in another file, but for this it doesn't do the trick for me.

Mainly because the axis will either show 1 of the 2 date selections, or it has no legend and its not verry nice to work with.

Still a very good suggestion!

vcanale
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Mike,

Have you tried to set "Day-Month" as Dimension and the Periods to compare as variables in the Expressions Tab?

I guess you need to have a Dimension to see the Legend