cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Make Help Text appear after clicking on a Text Object

Hey everyone. I was hoping if someone had any ideas on how I could get help text to appear after clicking on a text object. Basically, I have the following image I want to place in my app:

icon-question.png

My idea right now is to make a Text Object and set this as the image. What I then want is for a Qlikview Help Text box to appear when I click on it. Like this:

7-1-2016scrshot.png

I can set the Help Text for the Text object, but it only shows when I hover over it. I know that I can have the "button" set a variable and then have another text object with a conditional Show/Hide on it based on if the variable is True or False. This second Text Object would hold my Help Text, but I would like to avoid this because I want to have a Text Object with the same look and feel as the regular Help Text in QlikView.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You cannot make the help text as entered on the Caption tab appear on command. But you can create a new hidden text object (with a blue border and a light blue background, to mimic the help text pop-up) with a conditional show. Enter whatever help text you want to show in the Text field on the Properties->General tab.

The conditional show for that new text object will depend on the variable value as set by your original text box that carries a button image. For even better usability, create two question mark-buttons with different colors, one blue and one grey. The grey button will be displayed whenever the help text is visible, and the colored one when no help text is visible.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies
antoniotiman
Master III
Master III

Hi Danny,

why "another text object with conditional Show/Hide" ?

In the Text Box itself

Text :

=If(vFlagText=1,'Your Text',' ')

Action Set variable : vFlagText

value :

=If(vFlagText=0,1,0)

Regards,

Antonio

dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

The text box isn't what you normally would consider to be a text box. I'm taking a text box object and turning it into a button with the image above. If I were to put text in this object, it would write on top of the image I'm using.

remi_roland
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Danny,

I think you can solve it with a simple macro.

Check this one.

SUB myMacro

ActiveDocument.ShowPopup "This Macro display help text box", 2000,3,1,2

end sub

Hope it will help.

Regards.

Rémi.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You cannot make the help text as entered on the Caption tab appear on command. But you can create a new hidden text object (with a blue border and a light blue background, to mimic the help text pop-up) with a conditional show. Enter whatever help text you want to show in the Text field on the Properties->General tab.

The conditional show for that new text object will depend on the variable value as set by your original text box that carries a button image. For even better usability, create two question mark-buttons with different colors, one blue and one grey. The grey button will be displayed whenever the help text is visible, and the colored one when no help text is visible.

Best,

Peter

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you turn on caption on the help text box, you can get the pop-up on click behavior. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to style the ? icon on the caption. It doesn't respond to the Caption Font setting.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe because as you already said it's an icon and not a question mark character?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think it's possible to play with this icon when visiting the AccessPoint using the Ajax client.

dselgo_eidex
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks Peter! I was already thinking of doing something like this, but it sounds like this might be the only way to get the effect I want. Thanks for the advice!