Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making an "artificial" dimension selectable

I have the need to show four bits of information which have flags in the data - Bold vs. Not Bold (in the BoldFlag field), Indented vs. Not Indented (ParentID exists or is null), and a couple of others.

I started with a trellised pie chart, but a stacked bar chart would work too - I'm trying to avoid four separate charts due to screen space limitations. I started with an "artificial" dimension - I enumerated the names of the four properties with a ValueList.  Then, I wrote expressions for "used" and "not used" that test for each of the four properties. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow selections to be made by clicking on the chart.

I've thought through different ways of doing this with some assistance from others, but we haven't yet figured out a way to both have the four separate items in one chart AND make them click-selectable. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Since you can only filter by dimension when selecting in a chart, you would have to have the concept and the flag be a dimension.  It's easy to do as different charts, but making it 1 chart is the difficult part that I haven't figured out yet. At some point in the future in QV 11, you could put the four separate charts in a grid container. 

For now maybe somebody else has an idea.

Karl

View solution in original post

12 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Instead of a valuelist you can also use a island table with the artifical dimensions and those are selectable.

Karl

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So, in your island table you'd simply have a single field with a record with the name of each of the four bits of information?

I should clarify that the client wants to see the relationship between all four of these flags, so they do need to associate. I had considered a separate table with one record for each of the four attributes, but the problem is that if you select "Not used" on one of the attributes, it would select not used on ALL of the attributes, thus making a comparison impossible.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I don't know if I completely understand the whole situation, but I was thinking more about having 4 separate table islands with flags that you can use to control the expressions with sum(if()) or sum($(variableDefinedByFlags)), but if you could upload an example or post an image, I might get a better idea of what you are looking for.

Karl

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here's an example, with a couple of different charts working a couple of different ways - What I want is for the user to be able to click on, for example, the Used part of Flag1 and see what the proportion of the other flags being used is for those records where flag1 is used.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I don't see the example.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Whoops - Attachment fail. It's there now.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Is this what you are looking for?

Karl

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Not quite - The problem with doing it that way is that when you click on the graph to select "Used" for example, it selects "Used" on all four attributes. What we need to do is select "Used" on one flag, for example, and see the proportions that are *and aren't* used on the remaining flags.

So, for example, click in the left-hand table box to select Flag1=1, and you'll see all of the graphs do exactly what we want them to.

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Since you can only filter by dimension when selecting in a chart, you would have to have the concept and the flag be a dimension.  It's easy to do as different charts, but making it 1 chart is the difficult part that I haven't figured out yet. At some point in the future in QV 11, you could put the four separate charts in a grid container. 

For now maybe somebody else has an idea.

Karl