Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pivot chart resizing columns

I've noticed a somewhat disturbing "feature" when trying to resize the column width in a pivot chart.

Take a look at the following image, taken before the resiging:

error loading image

Now I want to mak the dimensions column ("Rekeningen") narrower, so I grab the column spacer, and drag it to the left. Upon releasing the mouse button, this is what I see.

error loading image

Instead of becoming narrower, it becomes wider. It seems to be somewhat random. Not really what we'd expect, huh?

I'm using Version 10 SR1, but have seen this also in Version 9 SR6. The options "Indent Mode" and "Use Only First Dimension Label" are checked. If I uncheck "Indent Mode", the problem doesn't arise, but my layout is not exactly pretty either.

Any workarounds?

Thanks,

Fréderic

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

As far as I can tell this due to multiple dimensions trying to be resized in the pivot table. The best way I have found to resize each column individually is to add the fast change option for a straight table. Then you can resize each column individually and switch back to the pivot table. Now you're columns should be sized closer to what you wanted.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for Sharing Matt.  Useful tip... and (unfortunately) still as relevant on version 11.2 SR2 as it was on version 9.