Qlik Community

QlikView Layout & Visualizations

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Layout & Visualizations.

Not applicable

Plotting the distribution of timestamps

Dear all,

I am developing some histograms that show a time series distribution, using the difference between two timestamps.

I am using a calculated dimension, as follows:

=Round(Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID),BinWidth)

So, the output of this expression is the time in minutes between 2 timestamps that are identified based on a related description field in the database table. BinWidth is a variable that can be set on the screen. (Thankyou Henric Cronstrom for an easy to follow description of how to do this).

In the expression field, I am running a simple count of each record that falls into each column of the histogram, based on the binwidth.

The result looks like this; which is a great first step.

dechist.PNG

What I want to achieve now is to have the X axis being the interval time in minutes, not a binwidth. This would range from 0 where the difference in timestamps is very close, to typically around 180 minutes.

How can I modify the calculated dimension above so that the x axis plots the histogram column based on the interval calculated, rather than using binwidth?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

Re: Plotting the distribution of timestamps

OK so class works, but might not display quite how you want?

Your expression would be (Sorry might have messed up the brackets)

=class((num(Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID)*24*60,'0')),100)

9 Replies
adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

I might be way off but doesn't:

=Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm')

simply do the trick for you?

Not applicable

Hi Adam,

Not quite.... Unfortunately I get an Error in Calculated dimension if I do that.

The expression is being run across a set of thousands of timestamps, so I need to put the expression through an aggregate function, based on a unique key, so that every record in the set is parsed.

As an experiment, I took your idea, and wrapped the aggregate function around it like so:

=Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID)

The graph now looks wrong, and when I convert the output to a table, I can see that it is not ordering the results into equal parts (which is what the BinWidth variable does....

What the picture below shows is a record by record breakdown of each record and it's Interval. THe Measurement ranges from 00 to approx 180 mins.

bin2.PNG

So the question is, how can I customise the BinWidth to show the scale that I require?

adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

No that does make sense, there is a trick you can do and this is from memory so bear with me while I try and drag is up from the recesses of my brain!

Something like:

round((Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID))/BinWidth)*BinWidth)

Not applicable

Ahhh,

I removed the last bracket and created the calculated dimension as follows:

=round((Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID))/BinWidth)*BinWidth

When I look at the raw data, the largest time interval in the set is 510 (minutes), so i'm expecting the graph to scale from 0 to 510. (I've set binwidth to 1)

In reality the graph x axis is scaling to 22. Any other ideas?

adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

Sorry the downside to writing on the fly.

Let me have a mess around and see if I can remember exactly what the trick is!

Not applicable

Thanks for your perseverance!

adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

OK so class works, but might not display quite how you want?

Your expression would be (Sorry might have messed up the brackets)

=class((num(Aggr(Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) - Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME),'mm'),INSTANCEID)*24*60,'0')),100)

Not applicable

Hi Adam,

I was looking at Class, but couldn't work out the syntax when dealing with time. That is brilliant; I can work with that.... Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,

Mike

adamdavi3s
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Yep the trick with intervals is that it stores it as a part of a day so you need the 60*24 to get it to a decent numeric format!

And it isn't an issue, I like a challenge

Kind regards

Adam