Qlik Community

QlikView Layout & Visualizations

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Layout & Visualizations.

Highlighted
thakkarrahul01
Contributor

Qlikview Containers

Hello everyone,

Does QlikView load all charts inside container or only the one which is selected on sheet load?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

Re: Qlikview Containers

All charts in the container will be calculated, not just the visible chart.

This can be a performance disadvantage (or advantage) over minimized or hidden charts, which are not calculated.

-Rob

View solution in original post

11 Replies
vardhancse
Valued Contributor III

Hi

While reloading the data only all the objects data will be loaded..only thing is whenever we open will see the data.

thakkarrahul01
Contributor

You mean when we go on sheet where there is a container with 3 charts, qlikview loads all 3 charts and display the one we are on.

Am I understanding your response correctly?

vardhancse
Valued Contributor III

At the time of dashboard reloading only data will be calculated &  loaded in all the charts.

Not like when ever we open the object it will reload/calculate and show the data

gautik92
Valued Contributor III

yea yu r right

it loads all the the three chats and it will display one

MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

All charts in the container will be calculated, not just the visible chart.

This can be a performance disadvantage (or advantage) over minimized or hidden charts, which are not calculated.

-Rob

View solution in original post

lubicz99
Valued Contributor

I use containers quite frequently.  In one of my containers, I have a chart that can take 30 seconds or longer to render.  So, to avoid bogging down the normal container load when the sheet is selected, I require the user to trigger a variable with a button object on the sheet to only render that resource intensive chart when it is requested. I use a calculation error message to tell the user they must select a date range button to render the chart.

Container Render.PNG

Container Render 2.PNG

Let me know if you would like to learn more about this.

thakkarrahul01
Contributor

Thank you mike for the alternative. Yes I would definitely like to know more about it.

Specifically, how you write calculated condition for keeping chart inactive until user have selected the option.

lubicz99
Valued Contributor

Okay, step one, you open up your chart properties and on the general tab, you add this calculation condition. Just replace your field to filter with what I have in brown here.  The chart will not render unless you have at least 1 value selected.  Instead of using a button, you could just use a list box with values.

Container Render 3.PNG

To get an error message, I just used the Default and then typed what I wanted to appear in  the custom message windows.  I have not played with the other choices, but there is probably one that is more specific to a failed calculation.  The default met my criteria

Container Render 4.PNG
So, the bottom line is the chart does not render until you have selected at least 1 value from any of your selected fields.  I used a variable for mine.  I would pick one of the dimensions you are using in your chart and use that as the criteria.

Hope that helps!

lubicz99
Valued Contributor

PS.  It would be nice if Qlik gave you the ability to use triggers as you moved through tabs on a container.  Or if a tab on a container had a reference name that indicated when it was the active one.  Than a trigger could be assigned and the charts would only render when selected.