Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Selection Behaviour

Hi All,

I have some questions on how Qlikview behaves during users making selections on the dashboard.

Let's say I have the following in the data mode:

1) Transaction Calendar (Dimension)

Fields : TxnDate / TxnYear / TxnQuarter / TxnMonth

2)  Invoice Country (Dimension)

Fields : Region / Country / Office

3) Sales and Expenses (FactTable)

Let say, I am going to make selection now:

TxnYear = 2012

TxnQuarter = Q2

Country = Japan

Then, i am going to choose TxnMonth = 3 (March). After I made the selection, the selections that I made before were all cleared and the current dashboard only selected TxnMonth = 3, but for Japan, it indeed has transaction made in 2012 March. Why Qlikview cleared out my TxnYear = 2012 as well as Country = Japan? Does Qlikview treat this as a new search?

Anyone can explain this?

Many thanks.

Attached is the sample QVW.      

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The selections are not being cleared for me if I open your application and choose Month=3

Not applicable
Author

Sorry Johannes. My typo, the first selections should be 2012 and Q2.

Corrected my typo in the question accordingly.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. Yes, QlikView will clear all selections when you select something excluded like this, even though Japan would have transactions for the year 2012 for month 3 as well as Q2.

Not applicable
Author

But do you have any idea why? And is there any ways to avoid this?

Because the users found that this is annoying and they need to refilter again and this caused trouble to them (You know, this is user )!!

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Because quarter = Q2 conflicts with month = March, so Qlikview clears the selection. Unfortunately that clears all the selections so the 2012 is cleared as well.

When you think about it, it could be quite complex and time consuming to work out which selection is causing the conflict, even though it seems obvious to us. This is a simple example, but in a complex case with many selections and large tables?

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein