Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Several dimensions - how to make it as flexible as possible?

`Hi,

I'm just working on a new KPI: The nr. of lorrys and the nr. of containers arrived on a given day.

The issue is, there are a number of xdimensions:

- There is the dimension of day (or month, to be switched) that I have everywhere, that is important of course.

- Then there is an early and a late shift every day.

- There are lorrys and there are containers

-  Last, but not least, there are three gates for goods_receipt (for both lorrys and containers)

=> That makes it a bit difficult.

I want, in any case, to show early and late shift side by side simultaneously and I want to show a full week (six days) in the charting area.

<=> The trellis option can (because it would otherwise become too small) be activated on only one dimension, either the distinction containers-lorrys (I would create an inline table) or the gate_ID.

<=> I would like to make the chart as flexible as possible for the user so that the user is able to either

- compare the gates rgd. either lorrys or containers OR

- compare the nr. of lorrys and containers on one gate.

Can anyone help me a bit here? I guess it would be an option to have two or three charts with visibility conditions (with the trellis option on either this or that), is there another one?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
fsimoes81
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

If the user could be capable to choose why dimension, or why combinations of dimensions he would like to see maybe it's be useful.

I'm afraid not understand the dimension of your problem, but, look the example app "Expense Management" in Qlikview "Getting Started", the sheet Report there a sample. I like to use that's kind of alternative when are more dimensions than space.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Fabio,

of course if the user would just tell me what is more important to him/her, I could just code it that way and it would be easier.

<=> However, I would like to not force the user to make that choice, but instead enable them to see whatever combination of dimensions they want.

Actually, it's only two dimensions where this issue arises because two are decided beforehand:

- The dimension "day" (or later "month") must always be there.

- The columns for the early and the late shift of every day should always be visible side by side

=> That narrows the choice I want to give the user down to the dimensions gate_ID and lorry/container.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps this document gives you inspiration: Customisable Straight (and Pivot) Tables - more food for thought. Don't let the title mislead you. The same technique can be used for other chart types too. Of course other charts can deal only with a limited number of dimensions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand