Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Straight Line in Line Chart

Hello, I have a line chart where i have amounts in yellow and blue that i want stacked. However, I need to make the third expression, which is the target, a straight line instead of stacking on top. How can I achieve this?

chart.PNG

Thanks in advance!

-Jason

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If the target line is the same value for every dimension value on the x-axis then you can use a reference line which you can add on the Presentation tab. Other wise you either have to use two charts and put them on top of each other. Or you'll have to do a lot of calculating to create expressions that result in correctly stacked areas. The combo chart doesn't support areas + line(s).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If the target line is the same value for every dimension value on the x-axis then you can use a reference line which you can add on the Presentation tab. Other wise you either have to use two charts and put them on top of each other. Or you'll have to do a lot of calculating to create expressions that result in correctly stacked areas. The combo chart doesn't support areas + line(s).

Not applicable
Author

Apologies for the earlier comment that I had to delete. I'm struggling to use a reference line to recreate the target. My dimension is Quarter and has values of Q1 - Q4. I tried using the following expression to create the line but it is not working: =right([Quarter],1) * 110

Gysbert_Wassenaar

A reference line can have only a constant value. If you use an expression for the reference line then it can return only one value. It will be calculated at the chart level, not at the level of dimension values.

Not applicable
Author

Got it, thank you!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert! I ended up stacking a chart on top.

-Jason