cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timmarsh
Contributor III
Contributor III

Trying to create a % calc across multiple dimensions by month

Hi all, I did a search first before posting this so as to not waste anyone's time.

(I have a QVW and QVDs if needed)

Ok, so I have some data where I want to:

1. Plot the sum of a counter (eDS_Ctr) by MonthYear, for a second dimension (called eDS_Status). This works fine. See below image 1.
  2. Plot the proportion for each eDS_Status in that month. At the moment I am using the below sum (bolded), which I know is not right as it is summing the total eDS_Ctr, not just for that month, which is giving me very low %s which I know are not right. My line graph has MonthYear as the primary dimension and eDS_Status as secondary. See image 2.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/sum (ALL eDS_Ctr)

Image 1 - Volume (this is fine)

byvol.PNG

Image 2 - Here is proportion/%, not ok.

byperc.PNG

I can validate what number I think should appear for each month, for each eDS_Status by looking at this Pivot table. Below, Image 3

Image 3

pivot.PNG

I thought the right expression might have been per the below but that only gives me the right calculation for one of the eDS_Status values as shown in the last column of the Pivot.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/(aggr (sum(eDS_Ctr), MonthYear))

I know this will be a simple solution - sorry, have not yet turned my mind to aggr as much as I should!

Many thanks for any help!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timmarsh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Quick update.

This expression works.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/sum(TOTAL<MonthYear>(eDS_Ctr))

I'd tried ALL but not TOTAL. Silly me.

Also added exclusion for selection in status.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/sum({$<eDS_Status=>}TOTAL<MonthYear>(eDS_Ctr)) 

Perfect. Thanks Anil!

PS: it would be awesome to understand why the aggr threw a null for nearly all the EDS_Status but correct value for one.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Perhaps this

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/Sum(aggr (sum(eDS_Ctr), MonthYear))
Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
timmarsh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Anil, thanks for the response - I tried that.

I still get a whole bunch of no results in the Pivot table.

Tim

timmarsh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi again Anil

So it looks like the % calc (aggr) gives a null for all Dimension values except one.

Which we can see is false, as there is a value for the others.

pivotnull.PNG

timmarsh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Quick update.

This expression works.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/sum(TOTAL<MonthYear>(eDS_Ctr))

I'd tried ALL but not TOTAL. Silly me.

Also added exclusion for selection in status.

=sum(eDS_Ctr)/sum({$<eDS_Status=>}TOTAL<MonthYear>(eDS_Ctr)) 

Perfect. Thanks Anil!

PS: it would be awesome to understand why the aggr threw a null for nearly all the EDS_Status but correct value for one.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Tim, best I have on the AGGR piece is the following Design Blog post, hopefully that may explain something for you:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Pitfalls-of-the-Aggr-function/ba-p/1463275

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.