Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Alternate State On One Sheet to Nullify Selections Made on Other Sheet

Hi,

I am using alternate state on a sheet to nullify the selections made on other sheet. Please help me know if the values populated in charts will be independent of selections made on other sheet?

Eg. I have two sheets SHEET1 and SHEET2. There are two list boxes PRODUCT and MONTH in SHEET1 which are always one selected. In SHEET2 I have a pie chart showing sales contribution of different products and a straight table showing month wise sales of each product. I am using a variable for populating the table. If I use alternate state TEST in SHEET2, and pie and straight table in SHEET2 are in "inherited" state will the selection made in SHEET1 impact values on SHEET2?

PS: I am using a variable to populate straight table in SHEET2.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with few best practices to be followed while using alternate state.

For eg. While using alternate state $ in set analysis should not be used.since it will populate values according to current selections and not according to alternate state selections

Thanks,

Amit

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If I use alternate state TEST in SHEET2, and pie and straight table in SHEET2 are in "inherited" state will the selection made in SHEET1 impact values on SHEET2?

With that setup the pie and the straight table on SHEET2 will not be impacted by selections on SHEET1 (provided the objects on SHEET on are not assigned to the alternate state TEST too).

You already mentioned a serious gotcha with regards to the $. Other things to keep in mind is that a number of functions like getselectedcount and getfieldselections cannot use alternate states, but always use the default state.

And see this discussion for some syntax examples for using alternate states with set analysis expressions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Can you help me know if there is any other function apart from getselectedcount and getfieldselections which cannot use alternate states?

Thanks,

Amit