Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

When showing cumulative values, why does the dimension have any influence?

Hi,

I have a barchart with damage_events and amounts. I can show the data in several ways, depending on three variables. Among others, I can show individual or cumulative values. With individual values, there's no problem - if there's no value, there's no bar, that's good and well.

The problem is when I show cumulative values: Those rise up to a certain day and then they stay the same up to today.

Now, the official requirement is to only show daily values for the current calendar_week, Mo-Sat (there is work on Saturdays sometimes). The problem is, when I implement that restriction in the dimension, the values are gone - the cumulative value should be the same as if I display all the days since the start of the month, but it isn't displayed anymore.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?`

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have modified the diagram now: The timeline-restriction is not in the dimension anymore - that would reduce the flexibility - but I keep the dimension unrestricted and instead I make a selection (automatically upon activation of the sheet).

I still have the same problem, however: When I select the current calendar_week, the cumulative values are no longer displayed although they have been the same ever since the 4th or so... I was expecting to get five identical columns with exactly that value?

Can anybody tell me why this is (not) happening - and how I can fix this? Displaying only the current week is kind of standard here, but not displaying anything is less than optimal...

Thanks a lot!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I have a different problem now, connected to the fact that the dimension is not restricted anymore - maybe when I get that fixed, the other one will disappear...

When I make a selection on the month, only the values from that month are displayed, like it should be - but I want to display cumulative values YTD. That used to work fine when I had the restriction on the dimension. Ignoring selections (with the parameter 1 or >Monat = < in a set_analysis_expression) is not an option because then (assuming I want to display the values on a daily basis), the month-selection will be ignored (surprise 😉 and I will end up with a bar for every day since Jan1 - I want bars only for the days in the selected month, but the cumulative values on a YTD-basis. Is that possible at all?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I guess I have an idea: I just need more variable-dependent dimensions: When I want to show cumulative values, I know that I have to ignore the month_selection, thus I will get either twelve months - no prob - or xxx days - thus, when I have a) a daily_display_mode and b) cumulative_values => I need a new dimension "days" with a restriction built in to show only the days of this month.

This is really going to get complex - again bringing up the question of how to document a QlikView app properly so that, in case I should leave the company, my successor would be able to understand how the app works and to properly maintain it.

I'll be back to let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: No, that was not the right solution - I can do that, but then I'm back to my prior problem: When I restrict the dimension, the diagram shows only bars for the current month (or the current week), but then I get different values - I do get cumulative values all right, but only the cumulative values from the start of the month or week, not on YTD-basis.

I'm at my wits' end - well, not quite, but unfortunately I am not at leisure to spend too much time on that kind of thing.

Thanks for any help! I know the thing is complex - a diagram governed by three variables, with variable-dependent dimensions and formulas is complex - but I'll happily explain every detail.

Thanks a lot!