cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobrien7
Contributor
Contributor

scatter plot with selectable axes parameters

I want to make a scatter plot, whereby the parameters for each of the X and Y axes are selectable, rather than fixed. I have therefore created a single parameter column called 'ParamList' with each of the 'real parameters' [e.g. speed, pressure, temperature, etc.] transposed, forming a single column 'sub-parameter list' [using Alteryx to 'feed' Qlikview] and a second column for the value of each [all numeric].

For example:

ParamListValue
Speed1000
Temp50
Press1012

This method allows me to have a list box with 'ParamList' as dimension whereby I can then select the required item [sub-parameter] for plotting. This method works really well for 1-D histograms where 'ParamList' is the expression [histogram chart being conditionally visible when only one such selection is made].

However, I now want to make a 2-D scatter plot in much the same way, using the above selection as X-axis. That will necessitate adding a second list box with the same 'ParamList' as dimension to form the Y-axis values, but in an alternate state to avoid being limited by the X-axis selection. In this way, the user can make both X and Y axis selections.

However, I'm stuck on how to assign one axis as an expression based on the 'Param' data filtered in the default state, and the other axis based on the same 'Param' Parameter list but using the selection from another alternate state, to which I have assigned the second list box. Help appreciated.

Of course, it could be that there's a much better way of achieving the same thing, and I'm open to ideas. In the past I tried having all parameters [e.g. speed, pressures, temperatures] in separate columns [i.e. each one as it's own independent parameter], and a cyclic group to select, but that required a lot of maintenance as the list of parameters is not always fixed, and the right-clicking on the cyclic arrow wasn't intuitive to people, who then found themselves left-clicking to cycle through a long list of parameters to find what they wanted.

Help and ideas much appreciated. thanks 

Labels (5)
2 Replies
dobrien7
Contributor
Contributor
Author

sample file attached with data and layouts as explained above. Hopefully this makes it clearer.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Just adding a comment to kick this back up in the list to see if anyone has time to have a look at your QVW to propose any suggestions to help.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.