Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wizardo
Creator III
Creator III

where is the guide to the new QAR API for making extenstions in QV 10

hi

one of the new features of QV 10 is the extension objects.

special QAR files are created and communicate with the qlikview document.

it works with the demo application and 5 or 6 QAR files supplied when you install version 10.

but where can one find the documentation of how to build these QAR files.

what is the IDE used to design it and what format is the file.

what is the API that is accessible and where is the list of methods and properties.

any information at all anyone?

i want to develop new extensions and trying to figure out how

7 Replies
marcel_olmo
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hey Wizardo,

I've heard in the Spain Community today that Qlikview is developing the demo examples of this kind of extensions. They will be available in few days (I don't think so, it could be maybe weeks).

But by now, I already know that they are going to start courses to help you how to manage this kind of new features (as the developer course).

Think that helps.

wizardo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanks for the fast reply.

the demo examples are allready availble and working, iv tested them and its great.

i am a self learner by nature and all i need is the documentation of the way to develop these myself. every api has to have an api guide otherwise no one will be able to use it :). i think since they want 3rd partiesto develop extensions that can snap in to any application then they should publish an sdk for it

Mansyno

Anonymous
Not applicable

Install the SDK under QlikView Server. There you will find

1) a how to video

2) documentation on the properties for extensions

3) examples

Not applicable

a qar file is just a zip file containing :

* definition.xml : xml file defining the extension properties (such as number of dimensions, expressions...)

* properties.qvpp : html file with specific attributes to bind to the extension properties. it defines the content of the extension properties page

* script.js : javascript code called when creating the extension. they all followed the same pattern:

Qva.AddExtension('YourExtensionName', function() { alert('hello'); }, false);

'YourExtensionName' must be the same as the one defined in definition.xml, the function is the one called each time your object has to update itself, the last parameter says if you want to enable debugging or not

there is a few pages of documentation and examples in the SDK installation, but they are far from complete

hope this helps

Not applicable

Hi Johannes,

I am trying to develop some extensions by myself and cannot find any documentation.

What did you mean by "Install the SDK under QlikView Server" ? Where can I find SDK and video and documentation...

Regards, Miha

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

When you do the server install make sure you hit the config button and select SDK to be installed as well.

Did anyone got a new extension to work? as usual QV documentation is far behind QV functionality.

saxjonas
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Yeah, I've created a couple of extensions so far. Google Maps,Google Analytics, Weather etc.
It has worked out great so far, though it is kinda buggy from time to time.

A couple of tips when developing:

• Don't bother creating qar-files until you're finished with the extension. Your working directory is usually
    C:\Users\[your_username]\AppData\Local\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions\Objects\
    with one folder for each extension
  • First define your Properties and Definitions.xml then start adding javascript. It can be a pain to change properties afterwards as you have to re-add the extension on the sheet everytime. Suddenly you end up having 3 different versions of the same extension in one application..
  • Use alerts a lot to check for errors as there is no real debugging console.

I will probably be posting some more about this in the near future as I feel the same, the documentation is really lacking.