Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Audit logging

Hi,

can anyone tell me if I can turn on the audit_logging functionality on an app_by_app basis?

And can anyone give me a rough idea of how much more resources will be used on the QV_Server with audit_logging on?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

We used to recommend not turning on audit logging because of potential performance issues but that was a conservative position due to lack of testing .

In the last ~18 months we have done performance testing with auditting enabled and found no noticeable impact to performance except that you will have bigger audit logs. 

the performance tests were done on automated JMETER scripts but we wouldn't  expect to see different results with real people making real clicks (as opposed to automated clicks through JMETER.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

We used to recommend not turning on audit logging because of potential performance issues but that was a conservative position due to lack of testing .

In the last ~18 months we have done performance testing with auditting enabled and found no noticeable impact to performance except that you will have bigger audit logs. 

the performance tests were done on automated JMETER scripts but we wouldn't  expect to see different results with real people making real clicks (as opposed to automated clicks through JMETER.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Cool!

Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

That makes things a lot easier. I suppose the extra info from the audit_logging will go into the QDS_logs?

Then I should be able to use the GovernanceDashboard to monitor my apps and their usage, no?

That's great, I could use something like that anyway to monitor the performance of the QV_server - I'm not so much interested in monitoring exactly which charts and tools people are using, all I want in that respect is to capture which of my apps are being used at all, on a day_by_day basis.

Do you know by chance if there is any comprehensive documentation or tutorial for use of the GovernanceDashboard around? I have done some searching, but haven't found anything in that respect yet.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

When you install the governance dashboard it does come with some documentation. Go to Start->Programs->QliKView->Goverance 1_1  ... and you'll see some links.

Also if you are just interested in what apps are being used, consider this slimmed down version. It uses just the session logs to tell you usage of the apps. It only uses the session logs and is very fast to set up

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-6725

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Cool!

Well, the usage of the apps is only one aspect.

In that respect, I'm just interested in the general fact: Whether an app is used on a given day or not.

<=> I also need to be able to somehow monitor the performance of the QlikView_server to make sure everything is running as it should and to be able to inform IT early_on if something goes wrong. We had some problems in the past which made us acutely aware of the fact that right now, nobody is really administering the QV_server. IT officially does not support it and I have only just now got access to the most important log_files.

Best regards,

DataNibbler