Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Auto Browser Refresh When Data is Updated

Hi there,

like the title says i want to have an environment, where the data in the browser is automatically updated, when the source files have been updated.

This is what i have already done:

• Set up a task for the document in the server (Reload Schedule 0h 1m)
  • In the document settings, on the server tab i set Reload of the document for the client to "Automatic Refresh push by server"

Now, when i update the source file AND the 1m is over, i only need to make one mouseclick anywhere in the browser to get the browser to refresh itself.

This one mouseclick is still too much. I want the browser to refresh automatically when the source data is updated.

Do i need to change settings? Install PlugIn? Make some Ajax Client?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot in advanced. 🙂

Tobias

4 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Look it the reference manual on page 419: The last item is what you want. This is set in the document properties in the QVW.

Client Refresh Initiation Mode

This setting defines how the client should be notified of the availability of new data on the server and initiate

a refresh. This setting is only valid when client initiated refresh has been selected in Refresh Mode

when Document is Updated on Server (see above).

Indicate with toolbar button

The availability of new data is indicated by the Refresh button in the toolbar

turning green and being enabled (and the corresponding File menu command

being enabled). The refresh is performed at a time of the user's choice by clicking

on the toolbar button or by means of the File menu Refresh command.

Prompt with dialog

In addition to the Refresh button in the toolbar turning green, the availability

of new data will be indicated by a prompt dialog. In the dialog the user may

choose between immediate refresh or wait, in which case the refresh can be performed

at any later time of the user's choice by clicking on the toolbar button

or by means of the File menu Refresh command.

Just do it but tell the user it is happening

The refresh will be initiated as soon as the server indicates that new data is

available. A dialog will be shown to indicate that the refresh is taking place.

Just do it

The refresh will be initiated as soon as the server indicates that new data is

available. No dialog will be shown to indicate that the refresh is taking place.

The user will experience a document "freeze" lasting from fractions of a second

up to minutes depending on server settings and size of document.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Shouldnt the document be reloaded by the server? If i chose this option, i can not chose anything  in the field you told, because it is grey and can not be chosen.

So i tried your approach and (in the server tab) I chose the 2nd option in the first field and then the last option which is "Just do it" in the 2nd field. I also already implemented an iFrame which unfortunately didn't help.

If anyone needs further information to assist please tell me. 🙂 I'm still looking for the solution.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yes, the document should be reloaded by the server. However, this tells the server what to do once it see that there has been a change to the documents data. Once you pick " Server performs refresh automatically without Clent action" then the bottom one is grayed out. I always set the bottom to "Just do it" and then the top one to " Server performs refresh automatically without Clent action"

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Hope you can help me in my scenario. When the document is updated on the QV server, I don't want clients to be refreshed automatically but rather prompted . So I chose "Client initiates refresh...terminate session" and Prompt with dialog ( or Just do it but tell the user it is happening) and in the QMC - unchecked Load only one document in memory. This makes client to not refresh but also it does not prompt any dialog. Do you know what may be the reason ?  We also do not want our clients to have the toolbar shown, so disabled it. However for testing, I enabled it and chose Indicate with toolbar button, also does not work. Appreciate any ideas or tips.

Thanks.

Raj