Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can desktops take advantage of qvserver clustering?

When a qv desktop uses qvp to get a document from a qvserver, can the qvservers be clustered to provide better performance?

Or is the advantage of qvserver clustering only available to browser accessing the qvserver via an accesspoint?

5 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Daniel,

If you are using the Desktop as a client as it seems since you mentioned QVP, clustering and balancing will work the same way as if you were accessing from the AccessPoint, accordingly with the balancing settings in the QMC.

You can easily see this if you log in to a server and open a document, then you stop that server and the Desktop should keep working in the other server (check in the QMC, Status, QVS Statistics, Documents and Users).

On the other hand, if you open the file locally, then there is no clustering applicable, as long as you are opening the file as if it was in your C: drive, only that is on a shared network resource.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

I am using the OCX in my application, which is basically just the desktop without the menus.

I have noticed that if I stop the QV Webservice ... my app/OCX is still able to retrieve qvw using qvp.

So the cluster "balancing" process is done between instances of the qvserver, not the web server or the accesspoint ?

I guess I got confused because the load balancing options are set using the accesspoint tab in the QVEMC and I don't think the ocx uses the accesspoint.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. QVP works directly against QVS, instead of using a middle QVWS. Load balancing, however, only works with AccessPoint or Webserver, unless, of course, you have another kind of balancing software or hardware in your network.

When you ask for a document in a server using QVP it creates a socket (similar to a session) that goes directly to the server. If that server goes down, you need to connect to the other server manually, even in a cluster, because the cluster itself does not balance.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thanks ... this is what I expected.

1) QVP from OCX and QVP from desktop do not get any benefit from clustering.

2) A qvp request is directed to a specific qvserver instance and only that instance will be involved is serving up the response qvw even if the qvserver is part of a cluster.

Once additional query ... is the qvw returned "all a once" in response to the OCX "file open" call to the Server ... or does the server return the qvw "piecemeal", e.g. as the user switches to a different tab the server returns the information needed to display that tab?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Daniel,

QVW are actual files in a filesystem. They are opened completely, or they are not. There is another meaning here: should you are using section access, information is actually reduced from your copy in memory of the file, making virtually impossible any kind of forgery other than using the correct username and password.

The data set is reduced once and sent to the client in this case, Desktop (or Plugin).

Hope that helps.

Miguel