Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can we make custom User Groups in NTFS Authorization mode ?

Dear all,

I have NTFS authorization on my Qlikview server. Can I make custom user groups using NT names in Qlikview Server. I can create groups using Custom Direcory ( DMS authorization ) but I did not find any option while using NTFS authozation.

Can anyone help me on this ?

Rajeev Sontakey

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

NTFS groups should be created in Active Directory.  When in NTFS mode, Directory Service Connector goes to AD for group name resolution.

Gary

View solution in original post

7 Replies
garystrader
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

NTFS groups should be created in Active Directory.  When in NTFS mode, Directory Service Connector goes to AD for group name resolution.

Gary

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can not use Custom User with NTFS.  When you use Customer Users you are creating the users inside QV and the QlikView Server controls the security on the QVW. Also, please not that if you setup to use Custom Users you cannot user anyother Directory service.  As Gary stated, NTFS is file security that is built in to Windows and you use Active Directory or local users Directory Service for that.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Bill, so, you cannot use custom users + AD users in a QlikView install? or would you need two webservers to handle that?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You would need two complete different servers. Why would you want to use both? If the users are not in AD (outside users) you could always control this on the local servers users.

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Yes, but local users are sometimes managed by a different team, information security or similar depending the company, it becomes a more burocratic approach.

I also believe you were able to have custom + AD users with QV9.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Daniel,

You are correct and that was a bug. It was hit or missed if it would work correctly are not.

cedriclupo
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

hey guys I know it's a very old post but I'm facing the same problem with groups in NTFS mode.

I have AD groups but when I apply the windows security on folder it seems that nothing happens.

I have posted something here:

NTFS Authorization on access point