Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Client Refresh Initiation Mode

We are using QV 11 SR2.  Our document gets reloaded on the QV server. This triggers a refresh on clients. Since it is set to auto refresh, client browsers are automatically refreshed. I need the clients to refresh by client initiation, so I did the following. Under document settings of the qvw file, I chose client initiates refresh for Refresh mode when doc is updated on server,  and used prompt dialog for Client Refresh initiation mode,  ( I also unchecked 'Allow only one copy of document in memory in QMC) . But when I tested this setup I do not get a prompt when qvw on the server is reloaded and refresh is required.  Any ideas. Any other suggestions to make client aware of the refresh rather than doing it automatically ? Appreciate any help. Thx.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

So when a document is refreshed the copy that is in the server memory is replaced with the new data, unless you check to have more than one copy in memory. Then you would have to set the document properties to one of the below options.

1.png

2.png

These are the options available to the clients. However, what client are we talking about? If you are using the plugin you will get the below when the document is refreshed.

3.png

This one is the icon will not be grayed out to start and will highlight once the document is refreshed.

4.png

Or you will get a message box. Now if you notice in the message box it states QlikOcx. This is for the plugin.

In AJAX these options are not available. I think the best option if you are not going to have more than one copy in memory is th last one.

"Server performs refresh automatically without client action"

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

this is happening to me too, any comments?

Not applicable
Author

Same to me

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

So when a document is refreshed the copy that is in the server memory is replaced with the new data, unless you check to have more than one copy in memory. Then you would have to set the document properties to one of the below options.

1.png

2.png

These are the options available to the clients. However, what client are we talking about? If you are using the plugin you will get the below when the document is refreshed.

3.png

This one is the icon will not be grayed out to start and will highlight once the document is refreshed.

4.png

Or you will get a message box. Now if you notice in the message box it states QlikOcx. This is for the plugin.

In AJAX these options are not available. I think the best option if you are not going to have more than one copy in memory is th last one.

"Server performs refresh automatically without client action"

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hello Bill,

Thanks a lot for your answer, I finally was able to make it work. Unfortunately, from my point of view, this functionnality is not solid enough:

1. You must use IE and have the plug installed
  2. Whenever I leave the application open for too long without actions it closes (with IE plugin)

-jc

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Any way of this working with Ajax Client?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Clever,

You have to allow more that one copy in memory and you have to add

ShowRefreshDoc=1

To the QVS Settings.ini.

There will not be a popup box, only the icon.

Bill

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

It´s exactly what I´ve been looking for

shannonmarshall
Contributor III
Contributor III

Bill,

Do you have screen shots of what this should look like in Ajax?  I have made the changes needed, but I am not seeing a refresh button turn green when my app has finished reloading.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

Shannon

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

I have done some testing and have found that it is broken in the the current releases. This was put in as a Bug and will have to wait to see if it will be fixed.

If this is an important issue for you please open a case with support. The more people that report the issue the better chance that it will be repaired. I will test version 12.10 and see if it is working there.

Bill