Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silviacico
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Configuration file of liceses

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a solution to this request: we need to find the configuration file of QV server in which liceses are set.

The purpose should be to find the file in which there is the list of users associations with dashboards and their type of license in order to substitute this file or edit it and change for example the type of licenses (e.g converting all the licenses into "session" licenses).

I read about a way in order to create a dashboard with users/licenses/.. data using the PGO and the associated XML file Extracting PGO Data and Analysing License Allocation but I do not know how to modify that file and first of all if it is possible at all.

Thank you in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Ok, good then.

No it is not possible to modify user's CALs in this manner. The only way to manage user CALs is via the QMC. The PgoAsXmlAlso=1 setting is only used to provide the CAL assignments in XML format, as the file which QlikView uses to hold these assignments (CalData.pgo) is proprietary and cannot be read by other means, save what is present in the QMC.

Hope this helps.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello Silvia,

I believe you are referring to the PGOasXML setting which can be enabled in the QlikView Server Settings.ini file. To enable this setting, you would take the following steps:

1. Locate the QlikView server Settings.ini file: %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer 

2. Stop all QlikView services.
3. Edit the Settings.ini file. Add the following line beneath the line [Settings 7]
     PgoAsXmlAlso=1
4. Save the Settings.ini file
5. Start the QlikView Server service
6. The XML files will appear in the UserDocuments directory configured on the server.

Please note that it is recommended that this setting be enabled to generate the XML files initially and then disabled as there may be a QVS performance issue if the setting is left enabled.

Hope this helps,

Chip

silviacico
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thank you very much Chip!!

Only to be sure I have understood what you said, at your step 3 (Edit the Settings.ini file. Add the following line beneath the line [Settings 7] PgoAsXmlAlso=1) I can modify types of licences associated to users and so on, right?

Thanks

Silvia

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

I believe I may have misinterpreted your initial query. The PgoAsXmlAlso=1 setting is used to generate an XML file of current Client Access Licenses (CALs) assignments only. It is not used to assign/configure CALs with users.

Client Access Licenses (CALs) assignment is done via the QMC. If you are managing Named User CALs, QMC > System > Licenses > QlikView Server > Client Access Licenses (CALs) > Assigned CALs tab. If you are managing Document CALs, QMC > Documents > User Documents > Qvwname.qvw > Document CALs tab.

Sorry for my confusion.

silviacico
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hey Chip, i don't think you have misinterpreted my need. The procedure you described is known by me, but I wonder if could be possible to change the type of licenses and changing them to "session" licenses without using the QMC but by changing the setting in the XML file directly.

Thank you anyway, what you said in the first message was helpful

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Ok, good then.

No it is not possible to modify user's CALs in this manner. The only way to manage user CALs is via the QMC. The PgoAsXmlAlso=1 setting is only used to provide the CAL assignments in XML format, as the file which QlikView uses to hold these assignments (CalData.pgo) is proprietary and cannot be read by other means, save what is present in the QMC.

Hope this helps.

silviacico
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thank you again