Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trey_bayne
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Direct Query RAM usage

QV Version 11.2 SR5

I understand that when using Direct Query, a user makes a selection and the script defined as Direct Query is executed agains the source database. The result set of that query is then returned to the user in the QlikView interface.

My question is;

When the result set is returned, is it loaded in to RAM? Does the RAM usage on the server increase with the result of the returned set?

Getting access to test this at my company will be difficult so any help from here would be much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would think so. The data at that point is in memory.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

If you will look at the QlikView SR5 Reference Manual section 21.4 it will explain the in-memory model.  This is from the version SR7 manual.

When table fields are loaded with a Direct Discovery load statement (Direct Query), a similar table is created

with only the DIMENSION fields. As with the In-memory fields, the unique values for the DIMENSION

fields are loaded into memory. But the associations between the fields are left in the database.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
trey_bayne
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks Bill but my questions is a little different.

1. You reload a document. All in memory tables are loaded. The DIMENSION fields in Direct discovery 'tables' are loaded in but DETAIL and MEASURE are not.

2. A table box is created in the UI with fields from the DETAIL field.

3. At first the table in the UI is empty.

4. When a user makes a selection that is associated with a DETAIL field, the Direct Discovery function executes the call to the source database.

5. The database returns the set and in the UI the table box is populated.

Is the .qvw bigger in RAM when the table box is populated?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would think so. The data at that point is in memory.

Bill