Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Document Chaining on Server environment - Memory question

When I open another document either through URL or Open Document on the server environment, will the previous document gets unloaded from server memory and clears off some space ? If not, how do I make sure that once the new document is opened in the same browser the previous document is unloaded from the memory and free up some space?

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Irrespective of you are using document chaining or any other way, QlikView is designed to not free memory until it reaches the minimum limit as set up in the QMC, System, Setup, QlikView Servers, Performance, Working Set.

And this does make sense: QlikView works in memory, so the more memory available, the better QlikView will perform, without crashing the computer. In memory means that information is in memory, but as well that each click is cached so any user can benefit from what other users did before, therefore making the UX faster.

Hope this makes sense,

Miguel

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Miguel is correct, but there is also the document timeout. QVS will hold a document in memory till the last person exits it and the document timeout is reached.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

I have in my qlikview document  -  settings/document properties/server tab, Refresh mode when document is updated on the server to -> "Client initiates refresh. If old data not kept in server or client too old, session will be disconnected".

My observation is this setting does not manage memory in the server optimally. The usage keeps growing and I think when it reaches peak working set, terminates the session causing 'No connection' to clients.

If I change the setting to "Client initiates refresh. If old data not kept in server or client too old, refresh automatically"

Then the server manages memory and users don't get 'No connection'. This setting is good for us from server perspective.  But the problem is users are refreshed automatically when document is updated on the server, which is not desirable to our users. So my question is how do I keep this setting (refresh automatically) but override this in client by not automatically refreshing.   - ( Is there a browser setting that prevent server to autorefresh? in Ajax client. Any other suggestions?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The key to your problem is "If old data not kept in server".  This means for this to work you would have to uncheck the box "Allow Only One Copy of Document in Memory " in the QVS setting under the document tab.

What this does is allow more than one copy of the document in memory (old document = old data). This would also mean that you could have the same document loaded several time in memory base on the reloads and users logged in.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.