Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Editing a server document by multiple users and error about recovery attempts

Hi,

We are new to QlikView. The point here is that we have one or two users remotely logging in to QlikView Server and editing a particular file with the QlikView desktop client installed on server.

The problem is that they are getting the following message when opening a file:

"This QlikView document was created by another QlikView Personal Edition user. Since you are using a QlikView Personal Edition...."

(see the attached picture).

How do I solve this problem?

Please, note that we have Licenses stored on Server (7 Named CALs and 12 Document CALs).

Thanks for your help

Panayotis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

your users need to actually get a license from your QlikView Server.

In order to do so, please make sure that you have either assigned a license to them manually in your QMC (licenses tab --> assigned CALs) or that "allow dynamcic CAL assignment" is enabled in the General tab of the licnenses tab.

To actually get the license to your user's local machine/client, your user should open his or her local QlikView Desktop Client and open a document directly from the server on the start page of QlikView.

To do so, go to the QV startpage and select any document via "open in server"  - through this step your client will communicate with your QVS and actually acquire the license and not be a personal edition anymore as in your screenshot.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore help with this.

Regards,

Jakob

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

your users need to actually get a license from your QlikView Server.

In order to do so, please make sure that you have either assigned a license to them manually in your QMC (licenses tab --> assigned CALs) or that "allow dynamcic CAL assignment" is enabled in the General tab of the licnenses tab.

To actually get the license to your user's local machine/client, your user should open his or her local QlikView Desktop Client and open a document directly from the server on the start page of QlikView.

To do so, go to the QV startpage and select any document via "open in server"  - through this step your client will communicate with your QVS and actually acquire the license and not be a personal edition anymore as in your screenshot.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore help with this.

Regards,

Jakob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jakob,

I believe that you answer is correct. And this is what I have confirmed with customer support. However, it does not work for some reason. And I am currently having it on further investigation.

Thanks for answer

Panayotis

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jakob,

I'm having more or less the same problem.
I can open and connect with the Desktop program to the server document with no problem, just i cannot edit it (add/modify/remove objects and scripts), even thought i am administrator of the system.
Do you have any idea?

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi terrywloch,

That is how you do license lease.

Once license leasing is done. Close the application,

Now open the application from qlikview desktop File open, Now you can edit the document.

Open in server is same like ajax client.

Hope it helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi terrywloch,

I am new to QlikView, but still I will try to drop my 2 cents on your problem, just in case I might be of any help to you.

When you open the desktop client, in order to edit a document it has to be LOCAL to the application. You cannot edit a document when you open it with the "Open in Server..." functionality, i.e. when you access it on the remote server.

If you want to edit documents that you have on server, you have to make them somehow local to your desktop application. One solution that I follow is 1st to make the folder that contains my documents (on server) shareable 2) set the appropriate security options for people to be able to read/write and 3) on my desktop machine, to locate the folder using a windows explorer and make a Map Drive connection to create a local drive (e.g. Z: ) that is mapped to the shared folder. Then I open the document from desktop application as if it were local ("File/Open") and desktop client allows me to edit them.

I do not know whether this one helps.

Panayotis