cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rehan
Creator III
Creator III

Email Alerts not working

I am using QV Server 12.2. I am able to send the test email from QMC means that my mail setup is correct, but not getting the task failure email alerts. Log says "Failed to send email to xxxxxxxx@"

In Production I have the same settings but it works fine there ,

Can someone help pls

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello @Rehan ,

I would again refer you to Qlik Support article "Overview of email notification and alerts in QlikView Server, Publisher and Desktop" as I did in the previous thread you created regarding E-mail alerts not being sent

See the below from the troubleshooting tips section:

I do not get any alert e-mails, but the test-email functionality works!
Test-email does not confirm the email-addresses being used in the test, it simply sends an email. The alert email functionality matches the email address with the DSC to look it up. If you can't look up the email address under "Users", it might be possible that resolving email addresses is not working properly. You may also try to change the mail server authentication method from .e.g "Use Distribution Service account" (which might not have an email-address registered, is not allowed to send emails or does not have an account at the SMTP server), to the "Anonymous" checkbox. Some SMTP servers allows anonymous emails which could simplify sending emails. Using an account does thus force authentication towards the SMTP server which it doesn't accept.

If you use port 465 or 587 for port under Location, change the QVManagementService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service.  You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true. Change the QVDistributionService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service. You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true.

Hope this helps!

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Try to check with your SMTP support team if they can see some differences between the configurations. Maybe a ip relay missing or a specific TCP port blocked.
Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello @Rehan ,

I would again refer you to Qlik Support article "Overview of email notification and alerts in QlikView Server, Publisher and Desktop" as I did in the previous thread you created regarding E-mail alerts not being sent

See the below from the troubleshooting tips section:

I do not get any alert e-mails, but the test-email functionality works!
Test-email does not confirm the email-addresses being used in the test, it simply sends an email. The alert email functionality matches the email address with the DSC to look it up. If you can't look up the email address under "Users", it might be possible that resolving email addresses is not working properly. You may also try to change the mail server authentication method from .e.g "Use Distribution Service account" (which might not have an email-address registered, is not allowed to send emails or does not have an account at the SMTP server), to the "Anonymous" checkbox. Some SMTP servers allows anonymous emails which could simplify sending emails. Using an account does thus force authentication towards the SMTP server which it doesn't accept.

If you use port 465 or 587 for port under Location, change the QVManagementService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service.  You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true. Change the QVDistributionService.exe.config that is located at C:\Program Files\QlikView\Distribution Service. You will need to change <add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/> from false to true.

Hope this helps!

BrunPierre
Master
Master

Hi @Chip_Matejowsky 

Unable to find those in the config files, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @BrunPierre,

Are looking on the server that is running the QlikView Management Service (QMS) and QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)? Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to %ProgramFiles%\QlikView. Do you see Distribution Service and Management Service directories? The .exe.config files are located in these directories. Note that you may need to unhide File Name Extensions in Windows File Explorer > View to enable the full file name.

Below is screen shot of my single node QlikView Server/Publisher environment %ProgramFiles%\QlikView folder
Program Files QlikView.png

Below is screen shot of %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\Management Service with the QVManagementService.exe.config file highlighted
Program Files QlikView Management Service.png

Best Regards

BrunPierre
Master
Master

Hi @Chip_Matejowsky

My problem is that I can't find the exact lines in the config files.

i.e. add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/>

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @BrunPierre,

I checked our internal documentation and the add key="UseSSLForSMTP" value="false"/>  isn't a default value and would need to be added to the config.exe files.

What is the full build version of your QV environment (i.e. 12.70.20100)? If the build version is earlier than 11.20.12347 this configuration isn't applicable. 

Best Regards

BrunPierre
Master
Master

I'm running a version 11.20.11643.0 system, how can I fix this issue?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Version 11.20.11643 is the initial release of 11.20, released 10 years ago in 2013 and reached end of life some years ago. The best advice I can provide is to upgrade this environment to a supported version (12.70) and implement the resolution contained in the Qlik Knowledgebase article  "Overview of email notification and alerts in QlikView Server, Publisher and Desktop".

Best Regards

Jill_Masinde
Support
Support

@BrunPierre  For Best practices and successful upgrade of QlikView, kindly refer to take the following help link.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2022/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/QVS...