Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qv_jagan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Enabling Soft Switch in QlikView Server 11.2 SR7

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me how to enable Soft-Switch in QlikView Server 11.2 SR7.

Also please let me know if you have any document for enabling Soft-Switch.and disabling NUMA and Hyperthreading.

I tried searching online and the found the below link.

Quick tips #8 - Server Settings For Best Performance

However it only provides recommendations but does not provide the steps to do it.

Please help!

Thanks,

Jagan. V

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The document you mentioned does provide steps to enable/disable NUMA using a soft-switch (in Settings.ini). However you have to use a Settings.ini parameter only if the server platform BIOS doesn't provide a switch to do this when booting up.

For example, Hyper-Threading is a cpu setting. IMHO you cannot let QlikView disable/enable Hyper-Threading because when QlikView launches it's already too late to change the processor mode-of-operation.

See you server BIOS help for information on how to configure the cpu and motherboard settings.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The document you mentioned does provide steps to enable/disable NUMA using a soft-switch (in Settings.ini). However you have to use a Settings.ini parameter only if the server platform BIOS doesn't provide a switch to do this when booting up.

For example, Hyper-Threading is a cpu setting. IMHO you cannot let QlikView disable/enable Hyper-Threading because when QlikView launches it's already too late to change the processor mode-of-operation.

See you server BIOS help for information on how to configure the cpu and motherboard settings.

Best,

Peter

qv_jagan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you Peter.

One more question, I have other applications which runs based on IIS in the same QlikView server. Can you please tell if disabling NUMA will have any impact over other applications running based on IIS.

My QlikView server is Single machine with IIS. Please advise.

and if in case NUMA cannot be disabled, "EnableNumaRoundRobin=0" has to be written in "setting.ini" under "QlikViewServer" folder.

EnableNumaRoundRobin=0 is defaulted and means disabled functionality.

EnableNumaRoundRobin=1 means enable functionality which should be used for servers where NUMA cannot be disabled in the hardware

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I'm not an IIS user, so I don't really know from experience whether disabling NUMA will adversely affect IIS operation. But I guess it will not. IIS is a multi-threaded application with low memory requirements (in QlikView's case). I think it will be hampered more by disabling Hyper-threading.

Forget about manipulating NUMA in Settings.ini. the document you linked to clearly states that as of QV11.20SR2, QlikView Server automatically disables/ignores NUMA based on what is best for QlikView performance. This also applies to all later QVS releases, including the SR7 release you seem to be using.

Best,

Peter

qv_jagan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you Peter!