Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Failed to retrieve document list from the specified QVS

HI all,

We've been getting a lot of errors in logs, regarding the QlikView Management Service:

The error is the following:

System.Exception: Failed to retrieve document list from the specified QVS

at QMSBackendCore.Service.ServiceImpl.GetUserDocumentList(Guid qvsID)

at QMSBackendCore.Service.ServiceImpl.Diagnostics.CacheDocumentAvailable()

This error appears every few seconds, so we have thousands of them. The strange thing is that everything seems to be working alright (except for the occasional task error or two). I've looked to other posts, but in all of them the server seems to have issues or is not functional, but ours seems to be working OK, we have hundreds of tasks running every couple of hours.

Should we worry about it? Any idea?

Regards,

Eduardo

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Does the QVS that isn't willing to cough up a document list mention something along the same lines in its own logs?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This may also happen whenever you restart your QlikView services. QMS comes back up first and tries to poll a QVS that is still waking up. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is your QVS heavily loaded? If you open QMC, are there any tabs (Documents for example) that occasionally take a while to refresh ("Processing...")? If so, and eventually the QMC displays the required information, then I don't think you should worry. 

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Peter,

The QVS is running in another server (02) and it doesn't show any of the errors I mentioned before. They're only in the server were the QMS is running (01).

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you for taking the time to answer Peter. I don't think that's the case, because the errors appear all of the time, even when the server has been running for days. There are times when the server and the QVS are heavy loaded, but the errors appear even when there are no QV tasks running. They just pop out every 6-8 seconds in logs.

The servers seem to be running fine, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the errors  but still I would like to find the cause, besides I don't like those types of errors to show because my client might think that there is something wrong with QlikView (even though everything works just fine) and they might ask for an explanation of the errors, which I can't provide at the moment.

Regards

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Any new suggestions, anyone?

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Well, I still don't know the exact reason why this is happening, but I believe that it's because we have two different servers, one for making reloads (Publisher) and one to serve content to the users (QVS and Web Server). Each server has all of the services installed, but not all them are up, since we only run one server; we use this configuration as a cold standby environment in case of failure.

Since both QVS services are set up in the QMC, but only one is actually running, my guess is that the QMC tries to retrieve information from the standby Server, and since the service is actually down the error is produced.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alejandro,

try to restore your QVPR from a back up. Follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR\Backups and select the .zip file that is the most recent properly working QVPR
  2. Copy and paste the zip file to C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService
  3. Stop your QMS, QVS, and QDS services (make sure that no tasks are running and have completed)
  4. Rename the C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR folder to C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR_OLD
  5. Create a new QVPR folder in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\
  6. Unzip and extract the backup QVPR to the C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR directory, replacing the one you just renamed.
  7. Restart your services and verify that the new mount locations are correct.

BR

Tomas