cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Install QV Desktop on production server

Hello everyone,

I don't have Publisher.

I have one application. I would like it to be reloaded once in the night upon succesful reload of another  and twice in the day at schedule times.

Can I do it without having to create copies of my Qlikview document ? I don't think so.

So I was thinking to install QV Desktop on my production server and then use Windows scheduler to have more flexibility.

What do you think about that ?  Is it ok if for example, Qv Desktop runs at the same time than QEMC ?

Thank you

8 Replies
ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

If you don't have publisher, Then the only thing I can think of to achieve this is via windows scheduler.

But for that you don't need to create multiple copies.

You can have task on the same application.

If windows task and QlikView tasks run at the same time, then there is no issue.

Instead you have to make sure that they both don't update or perform the write operation on the same QVD file.

Hope it helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ashfaq,

Thanks for your answer.

What I have done is that I pasted QV.exe on my production server.

I then, tried to reload an application and I got the error telling me QV couldn't connect to the database. And then, when I went into the ODBC Administrator to check the ODBC connector : there was none !

How does QEMC work ? It's on the same server and the reloads work from there.

What is the difference between reloading from QV Desktop and from QEMC ?

Thank you for your answer

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi may be you have an oledb connection.

Secondly copying Qv.exe may not work.

I suggest you to install complete package of qlik view installer

Hope it helps.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Thank you.

I had a problem. When I opened QV, I had to lease a licence from my server. I did it.

Since then, the DSC service (which is on that same server), is not working anymore. It says in QMC that it is disconnected.  I have tried to restart the services but it doesn't solve the problem.

Do you think that can be related ?

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

No its not related.

Can you try by restarting server once?

Regards

ASHFAQ

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

If there are no more questions to ask.

can you close this thread?

regards

ASHFAQ

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You really need to do the install or copy the complete Folder over to the server. If you only copy QV.exe you are missing the qvconnect64.exe which is used to make the ODBC connections.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You don't need QV Desktop on your production server. IMHO it's even better to never install QV Desktop on a production machine, as Desktop is a development tool prone to programming errors and accidents that eat all available RAM.

Even without a Publisher, you still have a Reload trigger available called "On an external event". This trigger can be activated from anywhere using a commandline program called QMSEDX (see QMSEDX Enhanced). Use that commandline tool from windows scheduler as often as you want. Easy and very flexible.

Best,

Peter