Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pritamdeb
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Is this QlikView setup possible?

Hello,

I have a client who is looking to setup silos for each Business Unit. The requirement is that each business unit should have their own QVS, QMS and QDS (across 2 physical machines) but should share the same Web Tier (IIS, QVSS and DSC) so that the business users do not have to worry about multiple URLs.

Is this setup even possible where there is a common Access Point but separate QMC/QVSs? Can 2 QMC's control the same services?

Personally, I don't think that this is possible but I just wanted to get some opinions before I can go back to the client.

Also, if I may add, there is a requirement that the Web Tier and the QVS tier should be clustered across Production and DR.

Pritam

Qlik Architecture.JPG

13 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, possible. The first option I would consider is a single QMS with clustered QVS and QDS.  The Document Administrator feature to can be used in the QMC to limit each BU to managing their specific folders & documents. You can pin each document to a specific QVS.  With QV 12.10, you can assign a reload task to a specific QDS.  Hopefully a setup like this would meet your requirement to separate QVS & QDS resources. 

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

pritamdeb
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thanks for your response, Rob - I did think along those lines initially. We are scheduled to upgrade to QlikView 12.1 SR6 shortly.

I understand that Document Administration can certainly help the BU's attain a degree of separation.

What I perhaps failed to state clearly is that the requirement of a QVS cluster is slightly more complex; Physical 1 and Physical 5 need to be in a single cluster, QVSCluster1, while Physical 3 and Physical 7 need to be in a different cluster, QVSCluster2. Assuming that we have a 4 node cluster license, we could have a 2 node-2 cluster model where each BU's document can be pinned to their respective QDS/QVS Cluster. But what happens when we want to introduce a 3rd BU? I could be wrong, but, does Qlik not advice to not go beyond a 4 node cluster?

What approach would you recommend given the situation that we have 2 BU's plus 1 QlikSense (making it a total of 3 sets of 2 physical servers on each side) with the requirement for the Web tier to still be shared while the corresponding QVS clustering (as explained above) also to be addressed?

Pritam

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe that QV12.10 increases the possible cluster size. It certainly does for the QDS.

You could maintain completely different stacks (site) for each BU and then integrate on the web side. Not too difficult to modify the AP page or use the QVW integration in the Sense Hub.

It sounds like a fairly interesting and complex scenario so I would definitely recommend reaching out the Qlik Enterprise Architecture team msi for some advice.

-Rob

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It seems that you want to setup two independent-but-no-so-independent environments: Production and something that (correct me if I'm wrong) looks like Development, each having a QVS-QDS set per BU. Any particular reason why you want to throw those two environments together?

pritamdeb
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

One is Production while the other is the Disaster Recovery(DR) site. The requirement is for the Web and the QVS layer to be clustered across Production and DR.

Dev, Test and Pre-Prod environments are already stood up.

pritamdeb
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thanks Rob. I have modified the AP before but frankly, I am not clear on the approach and therefore I think I will take your advise and reach out to the Qlik EA team.

The QVW integration into the Sense Hub might be an option. However, at this point, the client wants to first have the QlikView BU's stood up and then 'plug' the Sense servers into the mix at a later stage.

Many thanks for your suggestions. I will keep this open to see if we can get any more ideas from the community and then come back and close it in a week or so.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I take it your DR is for hot failover for disaster recovery?  Do you want QV for that or Windows clustering?

-Rob

pritamdeb
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

The Web tier and the QVS layer are Active/Active. We are not going to be using Windows clustering.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is the DR for "Disaster Recovery"?

-Rob