Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Launch command file on the server

Hi !

I am currently searching for create a button in my QV application which launch another application/batch file on my server.

All is alright when I am in QV desktop mode on the QV server but it doesn't work when I am accessing from the Webserver portal (Ajax). The web server sends the .cmd file to my web browser instead of launching it on the server.

Do you have an idea about how run my cmd file on the server ?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Pierre,

use Server side export option to export a file to the specified folder in server

View solution in original post

16 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

There is no way to do that directly with qlikview, there are very few macro functions that will actually be run on the server.

You should consider running a macro to call an ASPX form running on the server.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer

How can I  add an ASPX form on the server?

So I have to create a new ASP.NET project with the same architecture than defaults QV aspx and dll files ? My new ASPX page will be executed without problem or should I make another modification ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Pierre,

Use the Supporting Tasks in the QMC, System, Supporting Tasks, External Program in the Server to call to your BAT or CMD files, and set the button to use the QMSEDX.exe tool that in turn triggers the supporting task by its name and password. It's not the most beautiful way but probably the most straightforward.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Miguel,

I'm not sure to understand. I tought that QMSEDX could only execute QV file reloading ... So you said that we also could run .cmd / .bat files ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Pierre,

Using the Supporting Tasks / External Program from the QMC you are actually running any command valid in your operating system, for example,

cmd.exe /c file.bat

This "file.bat" in turn runs the QMSEDX with the parameters to trigger the task.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Ok but I don't have supporting tasks in my QMC ?

impr.PNG

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Pierre,

You will need to license the Publisher service for that. I assumed you already had it. If you don't' have it nor are intended to get it, then you should use the Windows Taks Scheduler instead, but this has nothing to do with QlikView itself.

Anyway, if you only want a button to trigger a command, you can do that but assigning the action External, Launch to the button, then set the correct path to the .BAT or .CMD file.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

No I don't have Publisher license

So, as I said in my first post the launch of external application doesn't work in web with ajax. It works without any problem in Desktop mode.

I thought it was a problem of rights, like if the Web server doesn't have needed rights to execute a cmd.exe ?

I think I should reconcider the proposition to create a new aspx web page...

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Pierre,

It's not a question of permissions but of functionality in the browser. If you run the Ajax client using Internet Explorer (not Plugin) this will prompt or run the .BAT or .CMD file, depending on how you have your browser configured (just tested).

If you use any other browser, that will simply not work.

Hope that helps.

Miguel