Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

License management and CALs?

how does license management work in Qlikview? Does the tool physically stop new users being defined once you get to the level for which CALs have been bought for?

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

License management works differently for different types of licenses. Assuming you will be using the common types of Named CALs and Document CALs, QlikView will indeed stop issuing CALs (either dynamically or manually) when the allotments have been exhausted. These allotments come with the most recent update of your server license.

Both Document and Named CALs are "named" licenses. You assign them to a particular user (identified by way of his/her AD username) and according to your licensing agreement they stay assigned to those users 'till the end of days. Dynamic assignment is different from manual assignment (e.g. by an administrator in the QMC) in that users without a CAL will get one assigned automatically when they try to open a document and as long as unassigned licenses are available. License assignments are never automatically removed (for example after a predefined period of being idle)

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your Reply !!!

We are having the flow : Desktop client --> QA --> Prod

All 3 environments would be installed in different virtual machines. So this is what I would be proceeding with .

As we have only 1 QV EE Server license and one Publisher license,

in QA/Dev, I would be installing QV Enterprise Server and Publisher and provide the required license.(Separate VM)

in PROD ,I would be installing the same QV Enterprise Server and Publisher and provide the same license.(Separate VM).

In Desktop Client ,As I would be having Named CAL,I would be giving the DEV/QA License information(License Lease) in Desktop Client(Open Server)

Note: Here there is no test License available. Kindly Confirm

maxgro
MVP
MVP

As we have only 1 QV EE Server license and one Publisher license,

in QA/Dev, I would be installing QV Enterprise Server and Publisher and provide the required license.(Separate VM)

in PROD ,I would be installing the same QV Enterprise Server and Publisher and provide the same license.(Separate VM).

It seems you want to install 2 QV EE Server and 2 Publisher

But you said you only have 1 QV EE Server and 1 Publisher license

If you need 2 server, you need 2 server licenses and the CAL for every server.

Not applicable
Author

I have got 1 QV EE Server and 1 Publisher license.

As Dev and Prod will reside in 2 different Virtual machines, I thought we can install same QV Server twice in 2 virtual machines and use it as DEV/QA  and PROD and apply the same license in 2 environments instead of using a test server.

if there is only 1 QV EE Server and 1 Publisher license, you mean to say we can have only desktop client for development and one production environment and no need QA.Kindly confirm.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

As Dev and Prod will reside in 2 different Virtual machines, I thought we can install same QV Server twice in 2 virtual machines and use it as DEV/QA  and PROD and apply the same license in 2 environments instead of using a test server.

mmmmh and what's the reason of the test server? no one will buy the test server if you use the same server license on N servers....; license is for one server (prod or dev or qa) not for 2, 3 server

if there is only 1 QV EE Server and 1 Publisher license, you mean to say we can have only desktop client for development and one production environment and no need QA.Kindly confirm.

when you buy server license usually you have (buy) the server license and a number of cal (example named cal to simplify); the developer with a named cal can access the Qlik docs on the server (browser) and lease a license for his QlikView desktop for 30 days (so he can develop, test, etc for 30 days)

IMHO with 2 environments (production / qa) you can

- use only one server and one publisher license if you have prod and qa on the same server; well you have to consider some risk having qa on the same server as prod

or

- use one server and one publisher license for prod env

- and buy the test license for qa env

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It seems Massimo that nowadays you have to buy a test publisher license as well in order to use the Publisher in QA. So your last alternative needs an additional license, while this used to be different until recently (test server license was valid for publisher on the test platform too)

Peter