cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Log file Changes in the qvw files on the server

Hi together,

does exists any Log File in the QlikTech directory like the Audit Log but which contains the changes in the QV server directories?

In the Audit Log are just some information about the access over the AccessPoint.

Nice Greetings

Lisa

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The services that are part of the QlikView Server installation don't really bother about who is making changes to qvw's. It is not their duty to do that, as that would be close to impossible to do (where does a QVW live in the first place?). Even Windows has problems with auditing changes to NTFS files in a usable way.

What you are looking for is a VCS (Version Control System). VCS' are solutions from the software development world that are used to track changes to the source code of both simple and extremely complex products. Even the Windows source code lives in a VCS.

You may ask yourself how you could possibly view a QVW as "source code". True, because QVW documents are binary files, and tracking changes in binary files is also close to useless. However, a QVW can also be stored in a so-called project folder (in a directory where your QVW document resides, create a folder with the same name as your qvw document and with '-prj' attached. Open your document in QV Desktop and just save it, to see what happens with the prj folder) and that folder will contain every single bit of QVW content as a separate xml file. Now those xml files are perfectly suitable to be stored and tracked in a VCS.

Two standard VCS products are supported by QV Desktop out-of-the box, one commercial (TFS by Microsoft) and one open source (svn). In QV Desktop, check File->Source Control.

Added bonus of using a VCS: QVW management is centralized in one place (no more rogue documents) and even deployment can be managed by the VCS so that no document gets pushed to production without your approval.

You may have to add some features for yourself to the VCS. A VCS forces every developer to uniquely number a checked-in modification and add a description. Since a VCS can be queried about changes to a document tree and their corresponding change numbers, you can easily create a list of changes that are missing from the documentation (a Word document for instance).

Best,

Peter

[Edit] Search the community for "Version Control" to get more detailed information on this subject.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

see the following image to see where the log folder is specified.

Folder change logging might need extensive logging enabled

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ioannis,

thank you for your feedback. I use all the logs in the specified folder, but there are

not the information what i surch for. Yesterday I have enabled the extensive Audit Loggin.

I see no change: there are still just the AccessPoint dates. In your Screenshot I

have seen a second difference. Today I will try high Event Log.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not sure what you mean by "changes in the QV server directories"... QlikView services are mostly unaware of the changes you make to your server outside of any QlikView management interface (QMC). For example, if you create a new document root in Windows Explorer, nobody will notice except Windows. But the QlikView services can create a log entry when you change the Document Root value in QMC.

In addition to what Ioannis already suggested, you can find QMC changes in the following places:

• changes to CAL assignments can be found in the QlikView server events log. Higher logging level means more detail.
  • changes to tasks can be found in the mysterious QMS Audit log. Enable it by following the steps in Check for when/by who a Publisher task was disabled because the QMC won't let you switch on audit logging for tasks (greyed out)

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

with the QMC I have no problems, because nobody else work with it anyone but me.

I try it to explain it better :-):

If somebody open a document on the AccessPoint und work there you can see it in the Audit Log.

But if someone open a file on the server (Remote) with the QV Client and change somenthing there or

build new analyses then nobody knows who have done it > in the worst case, if somebody forget to write

the change documentation. We search for something, where we can together see which developer or admin

have change something in a file.

Exists such a Log or have you a idea what you can do to find something out?

Nice Greetings

Lisa

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The services that are part of the QlikView Server installation don't really bother about who is making changes to qvw's. It is not their duty to do that, as that would be close to impossible to do (where does a QVW live in the first place?). Even Windows has problems with auditing changes to NTFS files in a usable way.

What you are looking for is a VCS (Version Control System). VCS' are solutions from the software development world that are used to track changes to the source code of both simple and extremely complex products. Even the Windows source code lives in a VCS.

You may ask yourself how you could possibly view a QVW as "source code". True, because QVW documents are binary files, and tracking changes in binary files is also close to useless. However, a QVW can also be stored in a so-called project folder (in a directory where your QVW document resides, create a folder with the same name as your qvw document and with '-prj' attached. Open your document in QV Desktop and just save it, to see what happens with the prj folder) and that folder will contain every single bit of QVW content as a separate xml file. Now those xml files are perfectly suitable to be stored and tracked in a VCS.

Two standard VCS products are supported by QV Desktop out-of-the box, one commercial (TFS by Microsoft) and one open source (svn). In QV Desktop, check File->Source Control.

Added bonus of using a VCS: QVW management is centralized in one place (no more rogue documents) and even deployment can be managed by the VCS so that no document gets pushed to production without your approval.

You may have to add some features for yourself to the VCS. A VCS forces every developer to uniquely number a checked-in modification and add a description. Since a VCS can be queried about changes to a document tree and their corresponding change numbers, you can easily create a list of changes that are missing from the documentation (a Word document for instance).

Best,

Peter

[Edit] Search the community for "Version Control" to get more detailed information on this subject.