cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II

Lost Document CAL assignment

I have lost all of my Document CAL assignments. I had various documents with a varying number of CALs assigned to them.

Today, when I use QMC to look at the Document CALs tab for a document I see the following

Summary

Document CALs available on server: 178 
Document CALs not allocated on server: 178 
Document CALs allocated to this document: 0 
Document CALs embedded in document: 0 
Document CALs assigned to users: 0

What might have happened to have caused this or what might the IT dept have done by accident?

Thank you

Lawrence

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Document CAL assignments are kept in the CalData.pgo file, which is stored in the QVS Root folder (main copy) and in %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer (backup copy). If for whatever reason, QVS cannot communicate with the CalData.pgo file, it may cause this file to be recreated, and therefore lose any CAL assignments.

Ensure that there are no malformed or irregular .pgo files in the above .pgo file storage locations and ensure the timestamps of these files are synchronized. Also ensure that all QlikView related directories and filetypes are excluded from any type of system scanning - AntiVirus, backup software, etc. because if a file lock is placed on the .pgo file, then it wouldn't be able to be accessed by QVS. Make regular backups of the CalData.pgo file and the BorrowedCalData.pgo file (if users are leasing QV Desktop licenses from QVS), so you can restore the file if issue happens again.

Check your QlikView Server Event log for any CalData.pgo related errors. By default the QVS Event log is stored in %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer. If you have configured the QVS Event logs to be written to a different location, you can confirm the location in the QlikView Management Console (QMC) > System > Setup > QlikView Servers > QVS@ > Logging tab. If there are timeout related errors/warnings with these .pgo files, keep in mind that there is multiple read/write activity between QVS and .pgo files each second, and the files may need to be moved to a more highly available storage location.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Document CAL assignments are kept in the CalData.pgo file, which is stored in the QVS Root folder (main copy) and in %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer (backup copy). If for whatever reason, QVS cannot communicate with the CalData.pgo file, it may cause this file to be recreated, and therefore lose any CAL assignments.

Ensure that there are no malformed or irregular .pgo files in the above .pgo file storage locations and ensure the timestamps of these files are synchronized. Also ensure that all QlikView related directories and filetypes are excluded from any type of system scanning - AntiVirus, backup software, etc. because if a file lock is placed on the .pgo file, then it wouldn't be able to be accessed by QVS. Make regular backups of the CalData.pgo file and the BorrowedCalData.pgo file (if users are leasing QV Desktop licenses from QVS), so you can restore the file if issue happens again.

Check your QlikView Server Event log for any CalData.pgo related errors. By default the QVS Event log is stored in %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer. If you have configured the QVS Event logs to be written to a different location, you can confirm the location in the QlikView Management Console (QMC) > System > Setup > QlikView Servers > QVS@ > Logging tab. If there are timeout related errors/warnings with these .pgo files, keep in mind that there is multiple read/write activity between QVS and .pgo files each second, and the files may need to be moved to a more highly available storage location.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you wmy‌, a very thorough reply. I have passed your comments on to our IT team for further investigation, I'll let you know the outcome.

Lawrence

lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Our IT dept reviewed your reply and were able to restore the relevant file.  Thanks again for your help.

sudhanshu
Contributor
Contributor

To get back license you can follow three way mentioned in following link:-

How to get License back 

Procedure to get lost Cal Assignment