Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Open QlikView Document & Transfer Selections State

Hi folks, I need to use the document chaining functionality of QlikView: I am simply trying to open a second QVW and transfer across the selection state (using the "Open QlikView document" action), via QlikView Server (version 10). Everythings works well on the local machine. When I am trying to do the same thing via QlikView Server I am prompted with a window to "Open URL" / "Type the URL you want to open". After typing the URL (qvp://...) it opens the document and it even transfers the selections across to the second document. I also want to mention that I am using a QlikView TEST Server and I am wondering if this might have some sort of restriction imposed on document chaining.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can get this functionality to work without the user being asked to type the URL? Thanks in advance.

12 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of how you specify the QVW to be opened. I believe (not positive) that you need to specify relative paths. If both QVWs live in the same mount, you can just specify the file name (File2.qvw). If File1 lives in Mount1 and File2 lives under the root folder, you would specify ../File2.qvw. If File1 lives in Mount1 and File2 lives in Mount 2, you would specify ../Mount2/File2.qvw

You don't need to specify QVP protocol--it will automatically open in the same client that File1 was opened in.

Regards,

Vlad

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

What are you typing as the document in the action parameters?

Not applicable
Author

I am simply typing the name of the second document including the relative path: Document2.qvw in this case, since both documents are in the same folder.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

How are you opening the first document, through the AP or via QVP?

Not applicable
Author

I'm opening the first document via QVP.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Does it work if you open it in IE plugin through the AccessPoint instead of specifying QVP protocol?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Vlad, you're post pointed me in the right direction. The problem was that I was opening the server document via a text document saved on my machine with the qvw extension (and which had the qvp path to that server document in it). If I follow the ussual path: Open in Server -> Open document then it's working fine. Using Access Point & IE Plugin will also work.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Vlad Gutkovsky,

The below URL i had taken in a button using "Open URL" object in my current application.

qvp://localhost/Pass%20parameters%20in%20web/Second.qvw

Now, when i open the app in IE browser and if i click the button for first time then it is navigating to Second.qvw file.

Once again if i click the button then it is generating an error message is shown below.

How to overcome this error and it should support everytime to open the app Second.qvw.

Qlikocx.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Venkat

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Venkat,

That's a strange problem. Does it work when you use document chaining (i.e. creating a button to "Open QlikView Document" instead of trying to open a URL)?

Vlad