cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III

QV User Manager (Power Tools) trouble

Hey All - I'm using version 1.1 of QlikView Power Tools; specifically Qv User Manager 11 (qv-user-manager.exe)  QlikView Server version is 11.2 SR4

I'm unable to remove CALs using this tool; here is an example of the error I'm seeing:

>qv-user-manager.exe -r=CAL

No CALs to remove on servername

No Document CALs to remove from 'DocumentName.qvw' on servername
System.Exception: Failed to set document meta data

What's interesting is that I'm not passing in a document name parameter, and the specific qvw filename being returned doesn't have any alloted document CAL's.  qv-user-manager.exe -l=CAL will return a number of user CALs (Document column is blank) along with some document licenses.  I've noticed that the -d / --document parameter doesn't seem to work with the -r option or -l option.  I have set up the QlikView Management API group successfully.

Has anyone else come across this error or have a workaround?  -Isaiah

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I just wanted to post my solution to this in case anyone else finds it useful.  As expected the problem was corrupt entries in CalData.pgo pointing to "phantom" documents (previously removed from the user-facing directory while Document CAL's were still allocated.) Because the entries pointed to invalid paths, my solution was to stop both the QlikView Server and QlikView Management Service services, delete the CalData.pgo files from both locations, restart the services and reassign Named User CAL's and reallocate Document CAL's.  -Isaiah

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

i just had a quick look to the source code.

The qv-user-manager.exe -r=CAL will just remove all NAMED CAL and DOCUMENT CAL that are more then 30 Days not in use.

code snip NAMED CAL:
----------------

// Number of inactive days

const int days = -30;

// Iterate through all CAL's and remove the inactive ones

foreach (var c in config.NamedCALs.AssignedCALs.ToList().Where(u => u.LastUsed.Year > 0001 && u.LastUsed.CompareTo(DateTime.UtcNow.AddDays(days)) == -1))

config.NamedCALs.AssignedCALs.Remove(c);

----------------

code snip DOCUMENT CAL:

----------------

// Iterate through all CAL's and remove the inactive ones

foreach (var c in metaData.Licensing.AssignedCALs.ToList().Where(u => u.LastUsed.Year > 0001 && u.LastUsed.CompareTo(DateTime.UtcNow.AddDays(days)) == -1))

metaData.Licensing.AssignedCALs.Remove(c);

// Save changes

backendClient.SaveDocumentMetaData(metaData);

------------------

I think that you can't remove Named CAL is that you don't have users that are inactive for more then 30 Days (you can check by QMC).

An the Exception cause surly by the red marked code line. But why, i don't know.

Regards

Michael

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks a bunch for looking at this Michael.  After reading your post I went and dug through the source a bit more; still not finding anything but got a few clues.  It turns out (I believe) the problem that I am having is because of corrupt entries in the CalData.pgo file; for example where document CAL's were assigned to documents that were deleted etc.

isaiah82
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I just wanted to post my solution to this in case anyone else finds it useful.  As expected the problem was corrupt entries in CalData.pgo pointing to "phantom" documents (previously removed from the user-facing directory while Document CAL's were still allocated.) Because the entries pointed to invalid paths, my solution was to stop both the QlikView Server and QlikView Management Service services, delete the CalData.pgo files from both locations, restart the services and reassign Named User CAL's and reallocate Document CAL's.  -Isaiah

shantanu73
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Isaiah/Friends

I am novice in using OF Power Tools.

I had Qlikview User Manager(Power Tools).

My Qlikview server had NTFS authorization setting.

With the help of Power Tools I want to assign the Named Cal and Doc Cal to Some Domain users.

With the help of following script I can view the list of user assigned the Name cal, etc.

qv-user-manager.exe --list cal

But I cannot assign the Name cal or Doc Cal. Or remove the Name Cal or Doc Cal.

For assign the Name cal, following Script I am using in command prompt.

qv-user-manager.exe --add cal domain1\user1

On running the above script following message appear

Nothing to add on QVS@Qlikserverprod

Where Domain1        = Domain name

user1              = User name in Domain

Qlikserverprod  = Qlikview Server Machine Name

Please let me know where I am wrong. Or suggest me the script. It will great if get quick response.

It will be also great If I get the script to assign Doc Cal to particular user for particular Document.

Regards

SS

shantanu73
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Team - Waiting for response.

Regards