Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QV10 Server: What is difference between Root Folder and Mounted Folders?

In upgrading to v10 from 8.5, it is unclear to me what the difference is of the "Root Folder" and the "Mounted Folders."

What information should reside in the Root Folder and NOT in the Mounted Folders, and vice-versa.

There's probably a simple explanation, but I'm missing it.

Thanks!

11 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

To make it short, Root Folder is the default folder from where the Accesspoint will get the documents in first place. It will show as well any document in a folder within the Root Folder.

A mounted folder may not respect the hierarchy, being in a different place (even in a different partition) from the root folder, but have QlikView documents as well.

One document should be only in one place. It will affect the license assignments, so one document in one folder shouldn't be moved to another.

Hope this makes some sense.

Not applicable
Author

Miguel,

Thanks for your prompt response.

So, if I distribute docs (for Access Point viewing) only to the Mounted Folder, then what belongs in the Root Folder? Anything in particular?

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Tyler

As Miguel indicates you can organize your documents among mounted folders - e.g. different mounted folders for different organization groups that you must ensure only see the documents applicable to their group. Then you can use the root folder to hold central documents - those that any one can see. With QV10 and Document Administrators you can also use these folders to not only secure documents to particular groups for viewing, but also setup people (Doc Admins) who can move docs into/out of their mounted folder and schedule tasks related to those docs. They (doc admins) can do no other harm to the server/publisher config and cannot see the docs in folders to which they have no doc admin priviledge.

Flexibility and security that you can hopefully use

Regards

John T

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John! (Good to hear from you again!)

This information helps me. I can see how I could use the mounted folders to have a "Production" mount that can only be modified by the QV Admins and then a "Development" or "SandBox" mount that has files being developed or prototyped by business users.

Currently, we are exploring how we (IT - QlikView team) can partner with key business users -- business developers who are "power users" -- to prototype and iterate and develop new QV applications. Historically, the full burden of development and prototyping has resided solely in IT. But, there are opprotunties to speed up development (from an IT perspective) and broaden our QlikView environment by partnering with business power users in this manner.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Tyler

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Miguel is correct, but I would like to add one more thing. The root folder is a required folder. That is where QVS stores the PGO files (license information).

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

I was wondering how/where those files were saved. So, setting a root folder is how you dictate where the license information will be stored.

Does the QVPR information get stored in this root folder as well, or is that setup somewhere else?

Thanks again everyone.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tyler

The settings files etc are stored locally on the computer running the QEMC.

The files that are saved in the root folder are pgo and shared object documents relating to the documents on the accesspoint that are placed there.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you John. So, how do I change the folder where the QVPR is stored? I'd like to store it on an attached drive (SAN) in the event of a server failure because it would be easier to re-attach the san to a different server than to try to recover the C:\ drive of the server itself.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tyler

I would recommend that you either back up the xml repository (in the QEMC, click on the systems tab, highlight the management service and click on repository) to the NAS or set the QVPR as an SQL database that is external.

In both these cases you have the QVPR and can quickly connect these to a back up server in case of a crash.