We recently upgraded from QV 10 to QV 11.
After the upgrade a couple of our scripts started to fail on reload from the Distribution Service. They are reloading just fine from the QV desktop client.
The relevant line, I think, from the distribution service log file reads:
"Error Document open call failed. The document might require username and password."
It's always the same failure, every time.
I've sorted two out of three documents by copying the script to new files but the third one is really heavy in charts triggers etc and it would be a huge effort to get that working in a new qvw document.
We run on Windows Server 2008, all updates installed, with 96 GB of memory. CPU load while testing just now is at 0%. Windows and QV is 64 bit.
The word "section" is not part of the script, there is no hidden script. Server is run by a user that has administrative rights.
Things I've tried:
- Adding in different users in the section access part of the user documents -> reload option in QV management console.
- Changing ownership of the document.
- Makig new copies of the files.
- Changing rights on the files.
- Changing rights on the directories (other files in same directory loads ok)
- Making sure that the file is opened and resaved in QV11.
All these files reloaded under QV server 10. No changes have been made since.
Did you try to increase the number of retries on the task on the trigger tab within the QEMC? Try changing this from 1 to 3.
Tried that and it still says that it might require a username or a password.
I copied all the data to a new document but still the same problem.
Another thing to try is to change the Desktop Heap setting on the server. After changing this registry setting, many issues involving tasks went away.
Change the registry setting:
Change the GDI and User handle max count in the registry to SharedSection=1024,20480,2048
SharedSection=1024,20480,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
Default is 1024,3072,512 in x86 or 1024,20480,768 in x64
Read more about Desktop Heap on:
Hmm since i did that and rebooted the machine the only thing that i got was a black screen when connecting with rdp and the qlikview server is down.
I guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow and see what happend.
Still havent managed to solve it. Exporting all data/layot and importing to a new document did not solve it either.
Usually takes about 10 minutes for our QlikView servers to reboot. A couple of minutes after you are able to ping the server, you should be able to log back on.
Having the same prolem on qv10. I solve it this way -> http://community.qlik.com/message/68707#68707
Just adding local admin name to section access.
But after upgreading to qv11 problem return.
i change local administrator in section acces to domain administrator.
Please verify if the username and password of the local user (services > logon) of the Qlikview services are correct. I was with this problem and it was the solution