Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QV9 AccessPoint - No Server?

I recently installed QV9 on a new server (never ran 8.5 on this one, so their shouldn't be any upgrade issues), and any time I try to use the AccessPoint at http://localhost/QlikView/, it simply says, in big bold letters, "No Server." In the status bar up above, it says "0 of 1 QVS's is running."

QlikView Server itself appears to be running perfectly fine, since I can access a document by entering its path directly into the address bar (e.g., qvp://localhost/Test.qvw), so it seems to be a matter of the AccessPoint not detecting the server correctly. With the exception of including IIS support during the QVS installation, I left everything with default settings. Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Well, it's not really an explanation for the problem, but it appears that one solution to this is a full re-install. When QlikView Support was just as stumped as I was when I showed them the issue, I tried the following steps:

1. Uninstall QlikView Server 9.
  2. Delete all leftover settings files and folders (under Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikView) and registry entiries.
  3. Delete the default website (or whichever website you installed QlikView to) from IIS and create a new, blank site.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Re-install QlikView Server 9 (same build, 7119, same installation selections).
  6. Reboot.

The AccessPoint now appears to be working consistently, so perhaps it was an issue with the initial install failing silently, or something else altogether, but for anyone else experiencing the issue, I'd recommend finding a time you can safely have QV unavailable for a few hours and performing the above steps to see if it resolves the problem.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Ive got same issue . I also could not open Qlikview Management Comsole" http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/16845.aspx" Sad

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Does it say no Server or No SERVICE? This is normally caused by an issues with the application pool.. Is the application pool in IIS started?

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I had exatly this problem too, but it went away after reboot. Reboot is required for QVS 9 installation.

Not applicable
Author

bbt: It definitely says No Server. I've tried stopping and starting all manner of the IIS services to confirm that wasn't the issue.

Michael: That was my first thought, too, but I've rebooted several times since the installation to no avail.

To any others experiencing the issue: I'm currently working with QlikView Support on this issue, but they are stumped for now as well. I'm starting to think I should try to completely sweep QlikView off the system (including tracking down all of its settings files and registry leftovers) and perform a complete re-install, but I'm holding out for hope that the suppport crew will be able to work their magic.

Matt

philip_doyne
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I have also seen this intermittent connection between the AccessPoint and QVS. I found that if you reloaded you sometimes got the files and sometimes you didn't. If you had no server and refreshed the browser you might get them but a second refresh might revert to "No Server". No apparant consistent behaviour so it may be a bug or some problem with communication or timing.

Any further views welcomed!

Not applicable
Author

Well, it's not really an explanation for the problem, but it appears that one solution to this is a full re-install. When QlikView Support was just as stumped as I was when I showed them the issue, I tried the following steps:

1. Uninstall QlikView Server 9.
  2. Delete all leftover settings files and folders (under Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikView) and registry entiries.
  3. Delete the default website (or whichever website you installed QlikView to) from IIS and create a new, blank site.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Re-install QlikView Server 9 (same build, 7119, same installation selections).
  6. Reboot.

The AccessPoint now appears to be working consistently, so perhaps it was an issue with the initial install failing silently, or something else altogether, but for anyone else experiencing the issue, I'd recommend finding a time you can safely have QV unavailable for a few hours and performing the above steps to see if it resolves the problem.

r3iuk
Creator
Creator

I also had this problem when we installed QV9 after uninstalling QV8.5

Everything worked fine initially, but then the No Server message appeared after I had changed some configurations on the server. After some experimentation involving full re-installs I managed to pinpoint the problem.

If you change anything in the AccessPoint tab for the web server setup (for example showing the download plugin link, or the default method of viewing), it modifies the config.xml in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\QvWebServer.

A part of the file is altered from (the original file after installation):

<AddQvs>
<Machine>servername</Machine>
<Port>4747</Port>
<LinkMachineName>servername</LinkMachineName>
<AlwaysTunnel>False</AlwaysTunnel>
<Username />
<Password />
</AddQvs>

to this:

<AddCluster>
<Name>QVS@servername</Name>
<AddQvs>
<Machine>servername</Machine>
<Port>4747</Port>
<LinkMachineName>servername</LinkMachineName>
<AlwaysTunnel>False</AlwaysTunnel>
<Username>username</Username>
<Password>password</Password>
</AddQvs>
</AddCluster>

By replacing the section with the corresponding part from the original config.xml file, I can see the server again through the AccessPoint. Also when saving the change it tends to crash the QV Web Server service, so that needs to be restarted.

I have raised a ticket with QlikTech support so hopefully they can get to the bottom of what is causing this.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can replicate this behaviour.

Not applicable
Author

How about Windows Server 2008? I tried this a few times and I still get "No Server" (not no service)

Not applicable
Author

qvblah: We have a server (albeit not the one in question in this topic) running Windows 2008 as well, and I've found that QV9 just doesn't work well in general on Win2008 / IIS 7. It took me hours to get it to even install the IIS extensions (and required temporary removal of several websites in IIS; the installer crashes and tries to roll-back when IIS is hosting more than one site), and even after getting everything configured, there are often glitches. In terms of just getting the Access Point available, I would recommend trying one final uninstall/cleansweep/re-install. Then, before changing any of the settings, contact QV Support and see if they can track down the issue (point out to them that anything non-functional cannot be a result of configuration changes).

Regards,

Matt