Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nollE
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlikView Desktop 12.30.20000.0 Rendering Issue

Hello,

I changed QlikView Desktop versions from 12.10 SR1 to QlikView November 2018 12.30.20000.0 as well as from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about two weeks ago and I have been facing a rendering performance issue ever since.

Previously one of the bigger apps of mine was opening and loading charts fairly quickly. After the update the exact same app opens up and loads charts really slowly.

I have tried the fix where you modify setting.ini file and change the value of GraphicsBackEnd to 0 or 1.

I have 32GB of RAM and i7.

On the server (using AJAX) the apps runs very well.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jon_B
Support
Support

Glad to see there was some improvement, I think you can experiment going higher than 25 to allow QV Desktop to use more of its internal cache. See how it improves app opening time on your PC versus the RAM consumed by QV Desktop.  Try increments up to 70 but be aware the more you increase this, the more RAM QV Desktop will consume on the PC so it would need to be a balancing act depending on what other applications you're running there.

Hope this helps further,

Jon

Please, remember to "like" the post and mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer

View solution in original post

nollE
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Jon for tipping this out.

I changed the value of WorkingSetSizeLoPct to 85 and the rendering time on charts is much better now than it was before. I also changed the upper limit to 98 in Working Set Limits (%).

I also noticed the following:

When changing Working Set Limits's "Low" value (can be found in Settings --> User Preferences --> General), it seems to add the line WorkingSetSizeLoPct on the Settings.ini file. So, at least how I see it, changing the value in the QlikView's settings is equivalent to adding the WorkingSetSizeLoPct line on the .ini file.

- nollE

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Albert_Candelario

Hi,
Is this only happening with this big app or is something general?
Thanks.
Albert
Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
Jon_B
Support
Support

Hello, 

Another setting you might try on your local computer for QlikView Desktop is also in the settings.ini 

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings.ini

WorkingSetSizeLoPct=25   (Under section [Settings 7])

This allows the later versions of QlikView Desktop to use more internal cache when opening much larger documents, you can experiment if increasing the default setting of 20 e.g try to 22, 23 or 25 helps with the performance of the document opening up.

Please let us know if this helps

Best Regards,

Jon

Please, remember to "like" the post and mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @nollE,

Have a look at Qlik Support article "Modify the rendering engine in QlikView 12.30 from Skia to GDI+ and other related information". The rendering engine in QlikView 12.30 has been updated and this may have some impact upon the rendering performance. 

-Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
nollE
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

It happens with every app but it's most noticable when opening bigger apps.

nollE
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The fix Chip mentioned did not work, but Jon's solution offered very slight increase in performance when WorkingSetSizeLoPct was set to 25.

Apps are still working very slowly. I also noticed that the CPU usage goes to 100% while only 20GB (or less)/32GB of RAM is being used.

The big app, where loading times are most noticeable, is 2GB in size.

Jon_B
Support
Support

Glad to see there was some improvement, I think you can experiment going higher than 25 to allow QV Desktop to use more of its internal cache. See how it improves app opening time on your PC versus the RAM consumed by QV Desktop.  Try increments up to 70 but be aware the more you increase this, the more RAM QV Desktop will consume on the PC so it would need to be a balancing act depending on what other applications you're running there.

Hope this helps further,

Jon

nollE
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Jon for tipping this out.

I changed the value of WorkingSetSizeLoPct to 85 and the rendering time on charts is much better now than it was before. I also changed the upper limit to 98 in Working Set Limits (%).

I also noticed the following:

When changing Working Set Limits's "Low" value (can be found in Settings --> User Preferences --> General), it seems to add the line WorkingSetSizeLoPct on the Settings.ini file. So, at least how I see it, changing the value in the QlikView's settings is equivalent to adding the WorkingSetSizeLoPct line on the .ini file.

- nollE