Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cranium144
Creator
Creator

QlikView Management Service Won't Start

Hi.

Just did a round of Windows Updates, and I think they broke this.  But I am not positive.  QMS won't start.  Event log has this:

Faulting application name: QVManagementService.exe, version: 11.20.12664.0, time stamp: 0x54575e74

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18666, time stamp: 0x58f33794

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x00000000000095fc

Faulting process id: 0x1738

Faulting application start time: 0x01d333c40d56bf1b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\QlikView\Management Service\QVManagementService.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 4b9b096f-9fb7-11e7-8157-00155d00ef09

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas what to look for?!

8 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe look for an upgrade of QlikView Server? SR9 is pretty dated by now.

cranium144
Creator
Creator
Author

Sounds like a good idea. If I read everything correctly, I’m on 11.2 SR9. Does that look correct?

Would you recommend going one SR at a time, or go straight to the most recent (which I see is 12.1 SR8)? Also, if I read the upgrade notes, seems fairly simple to upgrade. Shut down all the Qlik services, then run the upgrade EXE. Correct?

Many thanks!

Rick

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, build number 12664 corresponds to 11.20SR9.

Your best way forward depends on the complexity of your QlikView Server setup and the urgency of doing away with the current QMS problem (pretty urgent, I guess)

An upgrade within the same major product version (i.e. 11.20) is extremely simple. Indeed, just warn your end-users, shut down the services, run the new installer (there is no separate upgrade installer, the standard installer detects what is already there and upgrades just those pieces that it can find on your platform). If you have multiple QlikView platforms, repeat the upgrade on every one of them. Usually takes about 10 minutes on a single platform-all services platform. This may be your best option to try to get rid of the QMS crashes.

Which service release? If you don't mind the increased quarantaine period of 7 days, go for SR17 (the latest and probably last one). If you do mind, go for SR15 (very stable if you ask me)

The best upgrade is of course the one to the lastest 12.10 version. But if you take that road, you might want to test your documents in a 12.10 environment before you publish them. The new QlikView engine has an impact on performance and comes with some subtle behavrioral differences that you may want to know about. If you've got the time and resources and you can wait a little longer for a solution to the QMS problem, test and upgrade to 12.10. You'll avoid another upgrade within the next six months. EOL for 11.20 has now been rescheduled to March 31st, 2018.

Best,

Peter

cranium144
Creator
Creator
Author

Can you define “the services” ? Just the Qlik services? I went to SR 15.

I ask because I did this, which was rather quick like you said. But 1) QMS still won’t start, and 2) I cannot connect to QV Access Point. I’m reverting back.

cranium144
Creator
Creator
Author

Another thing I have found, looks like it’s faulting on not being access to a log file.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I wouldn't go back to the older version. Between SR9 and SR15, about 481 bugs have been fixed, most of them in the AccessPoint, clients and services.

Did you change the default AccessPoint location or port in your previous configuration. You may have to apply those changes again after an upgrade. The same goes for AP images that have been replaced and other customizations.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Care to post the error messages you've found about this problem?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Oh yes, "the services" is just the 5 QlikView services (DSC, QDS, QMS, QVS & QVWS)