Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

QlikView PowerTools

Hi,

I just read the book "QlikView Server and Publisher", hoping to find some practical instructions. I realized, however, that much of what's in there isn't usable for me because global IT policy forbids me access to the servers and thus to the server logs. I'm lucky that I can access the QMC 😉

However, the part about the PowerTools was interesting and made me wonder whether that  "Server manager" could be used to easily change the password for the "user" running all QlikView-related tasks and services?

We haven't changed that since last fall and we have set it to override global policy which would have it expire regularly, so there is no changing needed - but since that "user" has access to quite a lot of sensitive data, the password should be changed.

Changing it manually in all the required places, however, is quite time-consuming - and I don't even know for sure where it has to be changed - rather, I know one or two places, but I don't want to risk missing something.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If the QlikView service account is a domain account, then you'll have to change it in AD. Typically a job for IT guys, and they do not often delegate this kind of task (usually "never")

If the QlikView service account is a local machine account, you'll have to change it in the local machine domain (on your QlikView server machine, select "My Computer->Manage->Users->Service account->Set Password...")

I'm not aware of any method to change service account passwords without proper Windows management privileges.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Need to be careful with this. If you change the password, most people forget about the Application Pool in IIS and users can't open the access point

bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Bill,

maybe I was not entirely precise:

- There is a "user" (not a real person) that runs all the QlikView reload_tasks.

- That "user" has access to a lot of information that is not publicly available

- No one but myself and a colleague have the username and password for that "user".

- All "real-world users" access the QlikView_apps destined for them, but no one lothatgs in as that "QlikView_user".

<=> Since there is a lot of sensitive information that that "QlikView_user" must have access to (so as to be able to reload the apps based on that data), I would like to be able to change the password once in a while.

=> Would that be possible using that "ServerManager" power_tool?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

That would need changing on the host location ie. local domain / AD and then the server services need to be updated to use the new password

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

To answer your question the QlikView Server Agent has an option that will allow you to change the UserID that the service accounts are running under and it does allow you to input the password. However, you will have to change the password in Windows (Local Machine or AD)  first .

This will not change the information for the Application Pool if you are running IIS.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.